Google Groups

perpetual-compression

Mark Nelson Jul 8, 2002 8:04 PM
Posted in group: comp.compression
Hi Jules,

I think I mentioned this in private correspondence, but I don't believe you
responded.

My challenge to anyone who has a random compressor is as follows:

There are one million random decimal digits at the following web site:

http://www.rand.org/publications/classics/randomdigits/

The actual digits are here:

http://ftp.rand.org/software_and_data/random/digits.txt

Write a program that can generate those decimal digits in the same order
that they appear on the web site.

Put your program and any data files it requires on a floppy disk and run it
on a non-networked computer that I control

If you can do this with fewer than 415,241 bytes, you will have demonstrated
the ability to compress random data.

Of course, the degree to which you limbo under that number will determine
how impressed we should be.

Any reason you can't pull it off with 100K of java source?

Caveat: there are probably many ways to pull a con job on this test. I
haven't thought of all of them, but I'm sure readers of this NG can help me
tighten it up a bit.

Challenge: if you can't do this, you are just blowing smoke, go away and
quit bothering us. None of your excuses will convince me that you are doing
anything other than avoiding your comeuppance.

--

| Mark Nelson - ma...@ieee.org - http://MarkNelson.us
| DataCompression.info - http://www.datacompression.info

"Jules Gilbert" <j...@medg.lcs.mit.edu> wrote in message
Hello folks:

I have decided to sell my 'random' compressors.

This is what I mean when I use the word 'random' or
'random-appearing'.

1)  My compressor technology ONLY compress'es random-appearing-data.
It is not able to reduce the filesize of files containing information
that can be compressed using conventional compressors', say or ARJ or
GZIP.

(While one can XOR the input of say, a text file, and that will enable
the material to be compressed, it is much better to first compress
such a file with a good quality compressor, say an ARJ compressor or
other high quality CONVENTIONAL compressor.)  After all, XOR'ing does
not reduce filesize.  Compression, even conventional compression,
does!

2)  Only buffer's of substantial size can be compressed.  The amount
of computer time required to compress smaller files, say 64k, is so
high so as to make the effort impractical.

3)  As the program exists today, it accepts one or more buffers of 8MB
of previously compressed data and produces smaller buffers as output.
It does not seem terribly difficult to me for the method to be
extended to handle ordinary files.  In fact, I do this now (not well,
though).

For various reasons, I am interested in restricting the use of my
products (now only one program) to the United States.  Further, I am
not enamored of the patenting process -- it is really a mechanism for
managing information disclosure, and very little protection is
provided from really bad people -- people I would not do business with
in any case.  So I am offering to license my program by means of trade
secret ONLY.

My program is suited for use with data that is written once and read
many times, such as movies or other entertainment data, etc.  It is
probably not suitable for data that is written once and read only
several times unless space is a critical problem constraint.

Our demonstrating process involves two machines, not connected by wire
or other means.  Compression occurs on one machine, the results are
transferred by floppy and the result is de-compressed on another
machine.  These machines can be inspected by a technician, they are
ordinary PC's running FreeBSD.

If you represent commercial interests, please contact me to learn
more.

Sincerely,
Jules Gilbert