Google Groups

RE: Portland Coder Society Date & Time

Eric Sterling Apr 7, 2012 12:35 AM
Posted in group: Coder Society

Are you suggesting that language design reached its peak about 12 years ago and no further advancement is warranted?

From: coder-...@googlegroups.com [mailto:coder-...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2012 12:23 AM
To: coder-...@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: Portland Coder Society Date & Time

On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 12:05 AM, Eric Sterling <e.ste...@comcast.net> wrote:

Hey Ed,

Have you checked out Julia?

Seems right up your alley

Yes, I've checked out Julia. Yes, it's right up my alley. So were all the single-assignment languages from the late 1980s, so were Lisp machines, long-instruction-word architectures, SIMD gizmos with 2^16 processors, so was Fortress and so were half a dozen other silver bullets that killed perhaps a quarter of a werewolf before dying out because nobody got paid to use them. ;-)

It's really about *money* and *time* - solving problems in acceptable time frames for people with a budget - not inventing yet another programming language that's Turing complete. R is the closest *living* language today to the way I think. And I've been using it for something like twelve years.

It's exactly the right mix of numerical capabilities, functional programming paradigm and community structure. You can build web apps in R. You can collect Twitter data in R. You can talk to PostgreSQL and Redis and Hadoop and MongoDB in R. It doesn't have confusing syntactical shortcuts to confuse code readers. And it even has a (rather new) byte-code compiler!

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server http://j.mp/compjournoserver

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." -- Paul Erdős