Google Groups

Re: Is Map/Reduce going mainstream?

Ray Nugent Aug 26, 2008 7:43 PM
Posted in group: Cloud Computing
Interesting if not a little over hyped. I'm not sure three of four implementations on top of it could be termed "a Rich Ecosystem". But certainly a step in the right - concurrent - direction. While it appears to be able to span machine and clusters does anyone know if it can span cores within a machine or do I need a concurrent language to achieve that?

Ray
----- Original Message ----
From: Reuven Cohen <r...@enomaly.com>
To: cloud-c...@googlegroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 7:31:06 PM
Subject: Re: Is Map/Reduce going mainstream?

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 10:17 PM, Rich Wellner <goo...@objenv.com> wrote:
A friend of mine wrote on this topic recently:
http://gridgurus.typepad.com/grid_gurus/2008/04/the-mapreduce-p.html

rw2

I've been getting lots of private messages, seems that there are a lot of shy readers on this list. There are no stupid questions or comments, please feel free to jump into the fray.

A few people have pointed me to a map/reduce like research project microsoft is working on called Dryad. Dryad is an infrastructure which allows a programmer to use the resources of a computer cluster or a data center for running data-parallel programs. A Dryad programmer can use thousands of machines, each of them with multiple processors or cores, without knowing anything about concurrent programming.

Check it out at
http://research.microsoft.com/research/sv/Dryad/

ruv