Google Groups

Re: [ Cloud Computing ] Re: 5 Key Lessons for Customers of the Cloud

Flávio Sousa Apr 24, 2011 10:54 AM
Posted in group: Cloud Computing

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Robert Jenkins <rob...@cloudsigma.com> wrote:
I don't know of any multi-location IaaS vendor that doesn't provide a consistent API across their availability areas. This can't be described as a special characteristic of AWS but the default position of IaaS vendors. When would an IaaS vendor actually have different APIs by location? I can't find any use case or example.

AWS may have more locations due to its size but on the flip side it is one of the most proprietary platforms. You are into a sort of Apple versus Android debate here. If you use Apple a lot its great but its compatibility with non-Apple isn't good. The question is does AWS make it easy to migrate OFF AWS or to be compatible with other clouds and standards? The answer is clearly no. That's fine but customers need to clearly understand that approach and its implications for their own cloud infrastructure strategies especially when outages occur.

Kind regards,

Robert
CTO
http://www.cloudsigma.com

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 3:31 AM, kowsik <kow...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Khazret Sapenov <sap...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Miha Ahronovitz <myinne...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Khazret, to give credibility to what you say, see
>> http://status.aws.amazon.com/
>> California EC is up, N. Virginia is down.
>
> Thanks, Miha for enhancing credibility of my post, but I've posted this link
> already yesterday and it's referenced everywhere.
>

>> But why it should be the worry of the customers to move things
>> around?
>> AWS should have mechanisms to move automatically to other facilities.
>> It doesn't
>
> Your statement contradicts your employer's notion of IaaS providing only
> bare minimum with all 'non-relevant' functionality outsourced to external
> parties.
> Now you want your competition to make an extra step, that sounds logical,
> but not implemented by many [IaaS] yet.
> Nice.

+1. AWS is the single largest multi-region IaaS vendor that provides a
consistent API (across regions). If the apps were designed for failing
over to an alternate region, all the bare metal capabilities do
already exist to solve this problem (ELB, anycast DNS). Netflix, for
example, runs in 3 different regions (see @adrianco's tweets).

I wouldn't say the same to PaaS vendors (built on top of AWS) that put
all their apps in a single location. That was fail.

K.
---
http://blitz.io
http://twitter.com/pcapr

--
~~~~~
3rd Annual Cloud Slam 2011 Conference * April 18-22, 2011 * Mountain View, CA * http://cloudslam.org

~~~~~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cloud Computing" group.

Robert Jenkins
Co-Founder
CloudSigma AG
E: rob...@cloudsigma.com
T: www.twitter.com/CloudSigma
W: www.cloudsigma.com
Create a cloud server in 2 minutes: http://bit.ly/g3UuTN

====================
This email is from CLOUDSIGMA AG. The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential to the intended recipient. They may not be disclosed to or used by or copied in any way by anyone other than the intended recipient. If this email is received in error, please contact CLOUDSIGMA AG on +41 (0)44 585 39 07 quoting the name of the sender and the email address to which it has been sent and then delete it. Please note that neither CLOUDSIGMA AG nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan or otherwise check this email and any attachments. CLOUDSIGMA AG is a public limited company registered in Canton Zürich, Switzerland (registered number CH-020.3.034.422-0) with registered offices at Sägereistrasse 29, 8152 Glattbrugg, Switzerland. For further information, please refer to www.cloudsigma.com .
Get hundreds of conference sessions and panels on cloud computing on DVD at
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002H07SEC, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004L1755W, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002H0IW1U or GET instant access to downloadable versions at
- http://www.up-con.com/register
- http://cloudslam09.com/content/registration-5.html
- http://cloudslam10.com/content/registration

~~~~~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cloud Computing" group.

Prof. Flávio R. C. Sousa
Software Engineering Coordinator
Federal University of Ceará, Quixadá, Brazil
http://www.es.ufc.br/~flavio