Google Groups

Re: 5 Key Lessons for Customers of the Cloud

AdrianC Apr 24, 2011 3:18 PM
Posted in group: Cloud Computing
Miha,

If you think it costs 3X to be in three availability zones then you do
need better engineers...

We run a third of our systems in each zone normally, to avoid the bad
zone we moved to be running half our systems in each of two zones.
About the same number of systems total, and the cost of the systems is
the dominant cost.

Since the cloud is elastic (remember, that was the point :-) we don't
need to pre-allocate capacity in each zone to take the extra load,
unlike a datacenter DR solution.

The cost of running in multiple zones is a minor increase in network
cost, slightly more latency, and that you have to decide to do it up
front. This works for any scale, nothing to do with running large
scale. If you don't have enough instances to spread three ways, use
smaller instances.

Adrian