Google Groups

Re: [ Cloud Computing ] Re: 5 Key Lessons for Customers of the Cloud

CloudSigma Apr 23, 2011 11:22 PM
Posted in group: Cloud Computing
The military often get accused of fighting the last war or at least is in danger of doing so and we can look at things in the same light in the cloud right now. People's knee jerk reaction to the outage this week saw simple 'use multiple AWS zones' however this doesn't fully address the issue because AWS remains a single point of failure in this case. When it comes to this we very much 'eat our own dog food' by the way and do encourage all our customers to run secondary or balanced operations within another cloud provider.

There are a myriad of scenarios where not being reliant on one cloud provider (even in multiple locations) makes a lot of sense. Companies go under, get bought, change policies, change products, do things we don't like etc. There are therefore many practical, technical and ethical reasons why it is wise to be reliant on more than one cloud vendor. That is the next single point of failure that people will talk about.

Cheers,

Robert
CTO
CloudSigma
http://www.cloudsigma.com

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Miha Ahronovitz <mij...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
The opinions I express are mine. AWS is not a competition, and it is a competition. So is every company in the cloud space.  AWS. is a player, albeit the largest one, in what we preach on this forum: cloud computing.

The started it all and their failure can compromise the idea of cloud computing future adoption, in narrow minds  that abound, unfortunately around. . This makes us all friends with AWS. However their SLA - discussed here in depth -are not consumer friendly.

Sure, I think Amazon should tolerate 3rd party , sort of cloud disaster recovery. These 3rd parties, may use tools to migrate to safer locations of the provider (like from AWS East to West) or may have multiple providers under a single management.

But knowing how Amazon does things, they will probably develop in-house another Service , let's name it, ADR  (Amazon Disaster Recovery) and charge for it accordingly.

This is not a "non-relevant" functionality. After the AWS incident, it is highly relevant to offer services for cloud disaster recovery.

Miha

On 4/23/2011 12:06 PM, Khazret Sapenov wrote:

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Miha Ahronovitz <myinne...@gmail.com> wrote:
Khazret, to give credibility to what you say, see http://status.aws.amazon.com/
California EC is up, N. Virginia is down.

Thanks, Miha for enhancing credibility of my post, but I've posted this link already yesterday and it's referenced everywhere.

But why it should be the worry of the customers to move things
around?
AWS should have mechanisms to move automatically to other facilities.
It doesn't

Your statement contradicts your employer's notion of IaaS providing only bare minimum with all 'non-relevant' functionality outsourced to external parties.
Now you want your competition to make an extra step, that sounds logical, but not implemented by many [IaaS] yet.
Nice.

Miha

--
~~~~~
3rd Annual Cloud Slam 2011 Conference * April 18-22, 2011 * Mountain View, CA * http://cloudslam.org

~~~~~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Cloud Computing" group.

Robert Jenkins
Co-Founder
CloudSigma AG
E: rob...@cloudsigma.com
T: www.twitter.com/CloudSigma
W: www.cloudsigma.com
Create a cloud server in 2 minutes: http://bit.ly/g3UuTN

This email is from CLOUDSIGMA AG. The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential to the intended recipient. They may not be disclosed to or used by or copied in any way by anyone other than the intended recipient. If this email is received in error, please contact CLOUDSIGMA AG on +41 (0)44 585 39 07 quoting the name of the sender and the email address to which it has been sent and then delete it. Please note that neither CLOUDSIGMA AG nor the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan or otherwise check this email and any attachments. CLOUDSIGMA AG is a public limited company registered in Canton Zürich, Switzerland (registered number CH-020.3.034.422-0) with registered offices at Sägereistrasse 29, 8152 Glattbrugg, Switzerland. For further information, please refer to www.cloudsigma.com .