Google Groups

Re: [ Cloud Computing ] Re: 5 Key Lessons for Customers of the Cloud

Miha Ahronovitz Apr 23, 2011 1:04 PM
Posted in group: Cloud Computing
The opinions I express are mine. AWS is not a competition, and it is a competition. So is every company in the cloud space.  AWS. is a player, albeit the largest one, in what we preach on this forum: cloud computing.

The started it all and their failure can compromise the idea of cloud computing future adoption, in narrow minds  that abound, unfortunately around. . This makes us all friends with AWS. However their SLA - discussed here in depth -are not consumer friendly.

Sure, I think Amazon should tolerate 3rd party , sort of cloud disaster recovery. These 3rd parties, may use tools to migrate to safer locations of the provider (like from AWS East to West) or may have multiple providers under a single management.

But knowing how Amazon does things, they will probably develop in-house another Service , let's name it, ADR  (Amazon Disaster Recovery) and charge for it accordingly.

This is not a "non-relevant" functionality. After the AWS incident, it is highly relevant to offer services for cloud disaster recovery.

Miha

On 4/23/2011 12:06 PM, Khazret Sapenov wrote:

On Sat, Apr 23, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Miha Ahronovitz <myinne...@gmail.com> wrote:
Khazret, to give credibility to what you say, see http://status.aws.amazon.com/
California EC is up, N. Virginia is down.

Thanks, Miha for enhancing credibility of my post, but I've posted this link already yesterday and it's referenced everywhere.

But why it should be the worry of the customers to move things
around?
AWS should have mechanisms to move automatically to other facilities.
It doesn't

Your statement contradicts your employer's notion of IaaS providing only bare minimum with all 'non-relevant' functionality outsourced to external parties.
Now you want your competition to make an extra step, that sounds logical, but not implemented by many [IaaS] yet.
Nice.

Miha