Google Groups

Re: meaning and pronunciation of Clojure

Rich Hickey Jan 5, 2009 6:56 AM
Posted in group: Clojure
On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 9:10 PM, Mark Volkmann <r.mark....@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 3, 2009 at 7:36 PM, Randall R Schulz <rsc...@sonic.net> wrote:
>>
>> On Saturday 03 January 2009 17:32, Tom Faulhaber wrote:
>>> Think of a French-style j like  in bonjour, Jean Renoir, or Jacques
>>> Cousteau. That gives the word "Clojure" a sound that's *very* similar
>>> to the concept of a closure. And the "j" evokes the JVM.
>>
>> And that is how I pronounce the middle consonant in "closure."
>
> Me too, but some pronounce it just like "closure".
>
> Hey Rich, can you confirm what is official according to you?

> Should the "j" be pronounced like a "j" or like an "s"?

Clojure is pronounced exactly like closure, where the s/j has the zh
sound as in azure, pleasure etc.

> Did you pick the name based on starting with the word "closure" and
> replacing the "s" with "j" for Java? It seems pretty likely, but it
> would be nice to have that confirmed.

The name was chosen to be unique. I wanted to involve c (c#), l (lisp)
and j (java).

Once I came up with Clojure, given the pun on closure, the available
domains and vast emptiness of the googlespace, it was an easy
decision.

Rich