Google Groups

Re: {:keys [jayq waltz fetch crate monet]} pinot

Yesudeep Mangalapilly Mar 7, 2012 1:45 AM
Posted in group: clj-noir

On Tuesday, February 7, 2012 5:39:24 PM UTC+5:30, Daniel Jomphe wrote:
Chris, thanks for the great work you've given us in the past months! I was eager to know your plans for the future of Noir + Pinot, especially in relation to ClojureScript One.

jayq - Bringing back jquery to the _masses_ of ClojureScript developers! I was surprised when you said jquery is the most battle-tested library out there; but obviously, you must be right. Although GClosure is battle-tested in Gmail and other big-name Google applications, I understand you feel that jquery is much more battle-tested thanks to its usage in almost everything else that's displayed in our browsers nowadays. One thing I'm sure, though, is that Google absolutely needed advanced compilation a while back to be able to make Gmail's javascript footprint not blow IE6's limits. That said, I understand that you consider we generally don't have such constraints, and wouldn't be using ClojureScript in the first place if we had them. So in the end, I definitely relate to your thinking; jquery is inevitable nowadays and GClosure doesn't feel as approachable and usable. Moreover, if Google ever migrates Gmail and their other big apps to a GClosure-over-Dart, they will obviously stop investing in the GClosure-over-JS that we know today.

Google Closure may not be suitable for everything,
but it is highly unlikely that Google will stop investing into Closure
and JavaScript given the amount of investment it already has into it. =)

[snip]

Cheers,
Yesudeep.