Google Groups

Re: [bloggerDev] Why can't users post comments to my blog?

Brett Morgan May 3, 2012 11:38 PM
Posted in group: Blogger Developer Group
Hi,

Can you please tell us which blog this is in relation to?

brett

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 8:41 PM, woodyj888 <wood...@googlemail.com> wrote:
We developed a Blogger app for a client of ours a few years ago, which uses the Google Data API.

However, since Oct/Nov 2011 it has been suffering from several errors, when users try to post comments.

After a lot of searching around, I discovered that several others had experienced similar problems, and that they had been able to resolve some of them by registering their blog domain (or, more precisely, the domain on which their custom blog apps/API calls reside) here: http://accounts.google.com/ManageDomains.

Once I had registered my domain, my app worked fine... for me, at least.  I have found that if I register the domain, and supply the google-verification-code on my site, I can post comments quite happily.  In other words, by registering the domain and adding the verification code to my site, I am effectively telling Google, "I own this site and this blog", regardless of whether I actually OWN the blogger account or not.

BUT... here is the problem:

Our app can no longer post comments from a user who has not registered the domain, or who does not own the blogger account.

I have found this note in the API developers docs: "Note: Currently, you can only post comments to a blog owned by the authenticated user."

REALLY!?  Somebody, please tell me there is a workaround for this.  I am struggling to understand how Blogger has seemingly taken a step backwards like this; as I said, our app USED TO WORK.

My client's sense of humor is running dry now and I really need to find a solution.

We are currently using the AuthSub authentication - should we use OAuth?

One last thing - the API returns the following Blogger error code:

bX-dxfn50

I've Googled this code and literally found nothing.

Please help!

Brett Morgan

Developer Relations Engineer, Blogger