Google Groups

Re: (Arch Reactor) New Project: Webcam & pc for Arch Reactor Google+ Hangout, Live meeting broadcast, and project video journalism

BlackTalon Oct 4, 2012 7:32 PM
Posted in group: Arch Reactor
The only problem I see using the projector for the telepresence device is the display might be in the eyes of whoever is at the desk.  I guess we could just have no one at the desk or move it to the side or something.

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 8:52 PM, Pete L. <pla...@gmail.com> wrote:
I did, indeed. And we're welcome to use it for this. Though I think it would be cooler to hook up a hangout to the projector.

-Pete

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 7:20 PM, George Fetters <gfet...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think Pete just donated a monitor to the space on Tuesday. :-)

On Thursday, October 4, 2012, Gene Jordan wrote:

I have considered a new project of setting up a webcam on a computer for the space that allows for connecting it to Google+ as an Arch Reactor Hangout for any member who wants to do so.

 We could also use that to broadcast our public events online as a Google Hangout. We could narrow access to members for any meetings that are not open to the public.

It would score "geek points" with me if somebody couldn't physically make it to the space for a meeting, but through a Google+ Hangout could present through the computer and the projector and receive feedback.

The same computer and camera could be used to record journal videos of what projects anybody is currently working on at our Makerspace, too.

Plus, it might allow more people to participate who can't always make it physically for a meeting.  It might catch the interest of a few new members who find the hangout online.  They can see what we are doing and perk their interest enough to come out and participate.

Gene

Note: One member has offered the use of a very nice webcam for this purpose (thanks Pete) and I can provide a PC.  I'll be looking for a monitor.  Would anyone else like to work on this project with me?  Can anyone offer up any more suggestions or purposes for the same equipment?  Are you diabolically opposed to this project? If so, why? ;)