Google Groups

Re: [aprsfi] Trouble getting positionless weather packets to post aprs.fi

K6LCM Apr 27, 2012 1:16 AM
Posted in group: aprs.fi
Hessu,

For the sake of clarity I would like to use a specific packet which I have just generated manually as an example.  In the past, I would send a positionless weather packet like this and it would show up both in aprs.fi and findu.  As of today, I no longer see this in aprs.fi raw data or as part of the weather reporting graphs on the site.

you will see the below packet from 0808 UTC which is presently the most recent packet.  This packet is not appearing in aprs.fi.  It would seem to me that this packet made it through the APRS-IS servers as a valid non-duplicated packet and that it is simply being ignored by aprs.fi.  I am not logged in using that call sign.  Am I missing something?  I have not changed anything on my end in the way of configuration.

KJ6UGF-7>APTW01,WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1,qAR,K6TZ-10:_04270108c038s024g027t042r000p035P000h99b10181tU2k

On Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:41:50 PM UTC-7, Heikki Hannikainen wrote:
On Thu, 26 Apr 2012, K6LCM wrote:

> This week, we discovered that aprs.fi was not only no longer drawing weather
> graphs from our position-less weather packets, it wasn't receiving raw
> weather packets at all from our setup!  The only packets aprs.fi would
> display in the raw feed were the separate position reports from our GPS APRS
> reporter unit or manually entered test packets starting with a ">".  The
> position-less packets from our Arduino's Byonics TinyTrak RTG radio are now
> being ignored altogether by aprs.fi
> http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=KJ6UGF-7
>
> However, you can see on findu.com that the APRS packets are reaching the Web
> and being graphed via that site.
> http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/raw.cgi?call=kj6ugf-7

To see the timestamps too:

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/raw.cgi?call=kj6ugf-7&time=1

findu.com is not receiving your position packets. It's only getting the
weather packets and the status packet. So, why would this be a problem on
aprs.fi?

The raw packets display displays raw packets as they are received from the
APRS-IS. After all, it's the "raw packets" display. If the packets are not
in the raw packets display, aprs.fi is not receiving those packets from
the APRS-IS.

If aprs.fi is ignoring some packets, they will still be shown in the raw
packets display, and I've tried hard to make sure that the reason for
ignoring is displayed in that view (you might have noticed the red error
messages shown for corrupted or duplicate packets).

> I have even tried changing the callsign and path to match known working
> stations, but I've had no luck.

That might actually make it worse.

Is there any chance that you would be logging in to some APRS-IS server
with the callsign KJ6UGF-7 ?  APRS-IS servers drop packets coming from
other servers, if there is local client logged in with that callsign.

In any case, this does not seem to be a problem with aprs.fi, as the
packets are not coming to aprs.fi. It's probably a problem somewhere on
the APRS-IS (and not a topic of this discussion group).

   - Hessu