Google Groups

Re: [aprsfi] Alerts disabled & Automatic weather report updates

Heikki Hannikainen Mar 27, 2012 11:39 AM
Posted in group: aprs.fi
On Tue, 27 Mar 2012, Tom Hayward wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 00:20, Heikki Hannikainen <he...@hes.iki.fi> wrote:
>>
>> Ah, this gets interesting. I guess if you go to http://aprs.fi/info/OH2TI
>> and then select another month in "Stations heard directly by OH2TI", you
>> also get metric distances? There was another report for this happening to
>> someone.
>
> I think somehow my original session (before logging in) had stale
> preferences data, causing me to see imperial units some places, and
> default units in others. I have not been able to replicate this
> scenario. Do you read preferences and/or detect locale differently on
> aprs.fi and aprs.fi/xml2?

Both use the same cookie which refers to a settings blob in memcache/db,
and pretty exactly the same code to get it.

It would be interesting to capture the cookies given to the service when
this happens - does the browser positively transmit the same settings
cookie for both the page request and the following AJAX call?

When you save preferences, they go in a key-value database, and the
settings key is set as a cookie. If you're logged in, they're also stored
keyed by your user account. When you log in again, it will reload the
settings by your account ID. With a couple tabs open at the same time,
this sort of issue could probably be duplicated intentionally by changing
preferences in another tab.

>> So, again I have to ask the same old question: What browser, and what
>> browser version are you using? Which operating system?
>
> Google Chrome 19.0.1068.1 dev
> Mac OS X 10.6.8

Pretty close to mine then. Does not reproduce easily with the released
Chrome on OS X.

   - Hessu