Google Groups

Re: [angular.js] Re: ngModelController Questions

Pete Bacon Darwin Jul 17, 2012 5:12 AM
Posted in group: AngularJS
This is how I understand it...
  • The $modelValue is the external API of the value of the ModelController. The bit that is exposed to the user of the directive - i.e. in controllers.  The user can get and set the model values accordingly, usually by binding to the ng:model directive.
  • The $viewValue is the internal API that is exposed to the directives. A directive that displays the widget works with the $viewValue.
    • Whenever the widget needs to be shown or the $viewValue has been updated the $render method is called.  By default this is a no-op function and directive developers should override it with their own logic.  In the case of the ui-date directive, it calls element.datepicker("setDate", controller.$viewValue) which updates the jQuery date picker widget with the new value.  (Note to self: I just realised that since the default is a no-op then I don't need to call the original $render.)
    • If the widget changes its value (say by a user interaction) then the directive needs to call $setViewValue with the new value.  This commonly has to be wrapped in $apply since the update is likely to have come from outside Angular.
  • The $parsers and $formatters are a transformation pipeline that converts the $viewValue to the $viewModel and back again.  Each is an array of functions that take a value and return a value.
    • Whenever the $modelValue changes, all the $formatters are called to transform the $modeValue into the $viewValue.
    • Whenever the $viewValue changes, all the $parsers are called to transform the $viewValue into the $modelValue.
  • Any directive on an element can hook into this pipeline and affect the transformation between the $viewValue and the $modelValue.  They can also set the validity of the value in the FormController at this stage too.  This is how things like the required directive work.
I hope that is correct and helps.

On 17 July 2012 07:26, ProLoser <> wrote:
Does anyone have examples of using perhaps $parsers and $formatters to maintain 2 parallel values when changes are made, both programmatically in Angular and by events outside of angular?

On Monday, July 16, 2012 7:08:10 PM UTC-7, ProLoser wrote:
Why use ngModelController.$render instead of scope.$watch(iAttrs.ngModel)?
Is there a difference or significant reason for using one over the other?

How do I set / manage the model value? Lets say my model should be a rich object, but the view (<input>) should just have a string, my plugin already updates the text of view (<input>) but I don't know the best way to go about updating the model value. It doesn't make sense to watch the viewValue for change, because then I'd just be watching the model.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "AngularJS" group.

To post to this group, send email to
For more options, visit this group at