Google Groups

Re: [android-developers] Re: how do I change screen orientation from ADB or equivalent?

Dianne Hackborn May 9, 2011 12:03 AM
Posted in group: Android Developers
Orientation is global.  The top-most app controls the orientation.  If your app is not on the top, you can't force an orientation upon the app that is currently on top.

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 3:17 PM, Morgan <morgan....@gmail.com> wrote:
Thank you everybody for your insight. I'm still at something of a loss
here, I'm (literally) about to build a few robotic arms to accomplish
this, but before I do I would like to hear from someone explicitly
that this can not be done.

I've attempted to launch an installed app which itself forces
orientation change programmatically, but that only affects the
orientation of that program instance, and the underlying orientation
remains unchanged, i.e. if you open a browser instance on top of it,
it retains the original orientation.

The tests are by necessity comprised of some real-world material, and
would be invalidated if they were re-instantiated in a customized
form. Once again, thanks for those that have commented so far,

Sincerely,
Morgan Kelly

On Apr 17, 8:24 pm, Diego Torres Milano <dtmil...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Flip command in monkey is expected to work only in emulator and Dream
> (see MonkeyFlipEvent.java).
>
> On Apr 15, 4:56 pm, Bill Napier <nap...@android.com> wrote:
>

> > Then again, I just tried it with the Nexus S and it doesn't work.  It may
> > work on devices with keyboards like Droid.  Here's how I tested it:
>
> > $ adb shell "monkey --port 9999"
> > $ adb forward tcp:9999 tcp:9999
> > $ telnet localhost 9999
> > Connected to localhost.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > flip open
> > OK
> > flip close
> > OK
>
> > And nothing happened on my phone.  It may actually work on a device that has
> > a flip out keyboard (G1 or droid for example), but I don't have one handy.
>
> > On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Bill Napier <nap...@android.com> wrote:
> > > It looks like the "flip" command from the protocol that monkeyrunner uses
> > > may do it for you.  It looks like it never got added to MonkeyDevice to be
> > > exposed as part of the monkeyrunner API.
>
> > >http://android.git.kernel.org/?p=platform/development.git;a=blob;f=cm...

> > > --
> > > Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time
> > > to provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on
> > > public forums, where I and others can see and answer them
>
> > --
> > Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time
> > to provide private support.  All such questions should be posted on
> > public forums, where I and others can see and answer them

Dianne Hackborn
Android framework engineer
hac...@android.com

Note: please don't send private questions to me, as I don't have time to provide private support, and so won't reply to such e-mails.  All such questions should be posted on public forums, where I and others can see and answer them.