Google Groups

Re: Provision of USSD API support

Cuihtlauac ALVARADO Apr 25, 2012 7:36 AM
Posted in group: Android Contributors
Hi Roy,

The initial patch set go lost during the AOSP downtime. I've ported it from Gingerbread to ICS and submitted it:

It's slightly changed (improved ?), the intents are now called:

android.intent.action.ussd.SEND
android.intent.action.ussd.RECEIVE

Feedback welcome

On Wednesday, April 25, 2012 4:03:41 PM UTC+2, RoyWanyaga wrote:
Hi Cuihtlauac, I am a developer interested in android..In the post above you indicated in some two links with the proposed (soft) USSD API but they are not available. I am trying to develop a USSD application for the blind so I have to capture the USSD response and pass it through a tts.. this is not possible currently because I cannot capture the mmi display.. On this particular issue, and many others the USSD API would be greatly essential. Thanks.

On Wednesday, July 13, 2011 3:47:15 PM UTC+3, Cuihtlauac ALVARADO wrote:
Hi

I've uploaded two patches exposing a (soft) USSD API:

https://review.source.android.com/24548
https://review.source.android.com/24549

The approach is not the one proposed by Milind. It's entirely Intent based:

Intent.ACTION_USSD_RESPONSE

Is used in startService() with a tel: URI argument containing the USSD
number. This intent is silently discarded when the Phone application is
displayed.

Intent.ACTION_USSD_REQUEST_OR_NOTIFY

Is broadcast by the system (actually, the Phone application) when an
USSD message is received. The USSD message text goes with EXTRA_TEXT.
This intent is silently not sent when the phone application is displayed.

Overall, the idea is to continue to have the Phone application in charge
of handling USSD messages. When it is displayed, request to have USSD
messages sent are discarded and incoming USSD messages are displayed to
the user. It is only when the Phone application is not displayed that
those intents are accepted or broadcast.

Additionally, there are no mean to known a REQUEST_OR_NOTIFY is a
'response' to a RESPONSE. That's on purpose. Allows an uniform handling
of mobile initiated and network initiated USSD.