Google Groups

Re: [android-building] Skipping emulator build (for purpose of building on 32-bit hosts)

mark gross Apr 27, 2012 11:25 AM
Posted in group: Android Building
FWIW I recall building froyo on 64 bit hosts.  10.04LTS 64 bit, in fact.

Maybe you should consider using a better tested / supported host OS.

--mark

On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Jean-Baptiste Queru <j...@android.com> wrote:
You should be able to skip building specific modules by just deleting
them from the source tree (assuming that nothing depends on them). The
emulator is (mostly) in external/qemu.

The last version to officially support 32-bit hosts was Froyo (2.2).
Early versions of Gingerbread didn't work on 32-bit at all, later
versions might have worked experimentally but I'm not sure.

JBQ

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 8:54 PM, Kiran Rao <techie....@gmail.com> wrote:
> According to this thread - since the emulator is moving to 64-bit, it will
> not longer be possible to build the android source on a 32-bit host.
>
> My requirement is to be able to build just the media framework from a recent
> branch; and backport it to Android 2.2 or 2.3. I am using a 32-bit (Fedora
> Core 16) dev machine.
>
> Questions:
>
> Can I somehow ignore the emulator part and build the rest of the framework
> on this 32-bit machine?
> Or, if I check out the older branches, can I still build all of it on my
> 32-bit machine? If so, how do I know the latest branch/tag that can be built
> on a 32-bit host?

Jean-Baptiste M. "JBQ" Queru

warning.

create interesting things.