Google Groups

ATTN DAVID STIPES: a new config of Dominion Battlecruiser

David Stipes Jul 3, 1998 12:00 AM
Posted in group: alt.tv.star-trek.ds9

Frank Gerratana wrote:

> In article <3599E7...@earthlink.net>, dst...@earthlink.net wrote:
>
> > ibc...@ibctel.anet.cz wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Some people around here claim that a different configuration of the
> > > Dominion Battlecruiser was seen in "By Inferno's Light", in the scene where
> > > Garak and Worf's runabout is being attacked. It supposedly has a lower angle
> > > between the nacelles and one more impulse engine. Can you confirm this?
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > It was the standard Dominion Cruiser. It was not modified.
> >
> > David
>
> Are you certain? There are several structural differences between this
> ship (which I'll call the "V-ship") and the battlecruiser.
>
> These images show the V-ship:
>
> http://frankg.dgne.com/misc/jhship.jpg
> http://frankg.dgne.com/misc/jhship2.jpg
>
> And these images show the battlecruiser:
>
> http://frankg.dgne.com/misc/battlecruiser.jpg
> http://frankg.dgne.com/misc/battlecruiser2.jpg
>
> The visible differences are as follows:
>
> - The V-ship's wings are at an angle, whereas the battlecruiser's wings
> curve downward
> - The V-ship's nacelles are attached directly to the ends of its wings,
> whereas the battlecruiser's nacelles are attached at an angle
> - The V-ship's wings are longer (relative to the rest of the ship) and
> thinner than the battlecruiser's
> - The V-ship has a "bulge" structure with windows on its ventral side; the
> battlecruiser does not
> - The V-ship appears to be around 3 times the length of the attack ships
> (~300m); the battlecruiser is supposedly over twice this length (762m, if
> I remember correctly)

Hello!

Nice images!  Both sets of images ARE the Dominion Cruiser. However,
there are differences that come from changes in the CGI model to make it
match the physical model. Remember, the CGI work for these shows were
done by different companies at different times.

David Stipes, Visual Effects Supervisor, DS-9