Google Groups

Re: my modells does not fit anymore - google earth changed terrain

Google Guide Jordan Apr 16, 2012 10:42 AM
Posted in group: 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps
Hi Utta,

To give some background on imagery shifts, we have been working for a solution to solve this problem since we started the 3D buildings layer many years ago.  As you can see with your models, there is not a uniform shift meaning that models are misaligned by different amounts and in different directions.  This is often due to the fact that different imagery sets are not captured from the same angle.  Since the earth is not flat (hills and slopes) there is slight transformation of the imagery in an unpredictable way.  In the past we tried to identify these shifts and move models independently of one another.  This occasionally returned good results, but it also caused some bad alignments.  This was most noticeable in cases where models should be aligned precisely to one another such as row houses.  We have since abandoned this approach as it appeared to create more problems than it fixed.

The other approach is to simply move all the models in an area along a uniform shift.  As you can see from your example, this approach would correct some models, but many others would still be misaligned.  For those models that can't be aligned with this method, a manual approach must be taken.  However, if the new models are close (under 5m off) to being aligned, they would still be acceptable per our acceptance criteria and you wouldn't have to manually fix the models unless you felt so inclined.

In the end, some amount of manual editing will always be required to correct the alignment due to new imagery.  I completely understand how unfortunate this is.  After all, you spent many hours creating and aligning your models, and we go and update our imagery and cause this problem for you.  I am trying to be honest and open with you by saying that we are far from having a good solution for this problem.

If you want, I can run a uniform shift for all of your models.  Please know that this will not correct every model, but would hopefully improve the majority.  I also can't promise that I can get to this for 1-2 weeks, which would also mean that any new models you add to this location would also get shifted along with the rest.  Please let me know if you want to go this route.  Your other option would be to manually edit all the models as Matthias mentioned in his post.

Sincerely,

Jordan

On Tuesday, April 10, 2012 12:22:37 PM UTC-6, sketchutta wrote:

Am Dienstag, 10. April 2012 19:54:22 UTC+2 schrieb sketchutta:
Google earth did change the image and now my modells are not anymore in the right position. What can I do? I have over 100 modells in that area.
Thanks for your answer!

Here are my models:
sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/cldetails?mid=c6e1ae5989e0b93ea1635aae7b53091a&ct=mdcc&prevstart=0
or have a look to sketchup warehouse: sketchutta museumsdorf bayerischer wald