Google Groups

Re: The Next Dimension of Google Maps - Official Post

Google Craig Jun 11, 2012 10:44 AM
Posted in group: 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps
Hi Doug, SketchUp buildings will be around in Google Earth for some time, especially in less populated regions. As well, 3D buildings can find their way onto Google Maps where they are wireframe, but still very useful.

We haven't made any plans for changing the badge system, and we're still looking into methods to notify folks of any changes to their models. That's all I can share at the moment, but we'll keep everyone up to date on developments.

Thanks,

     - CraigD

On Sunday, June 10, 2012 7:40:00 PM UTC-6, Doug wrote:
I don't know if I want to wait for Google to start removing my buildings one by one or just delete them all now. I do know if I keep them, I will delete them en mass when Google starts removing them.

Question : Is Google going to change the badge system ? Even though they're fairly meaningless ,except for bragging rights, I would hate to see fewer badges every time that I login. It's depressing enough.

Since Google is eventually going to remove the models from GE, I'm really curious why Trimble bought SketchUp and the rights to our models. This is another reason why I want to delete my models.

I'll probably just hang in for awhile and see what happens but I personnel don't see any reason to make any new buildings.