Google Groups

Re: The Next Dimension of Google Maps - Official Post

Google Craig Jun 13, 2012 12:36 PM
Posted in group: 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps
Hi Jorge, the current plan is to have SketchUp continue to source the terrain from an area just as it does today, even if that area has 3D imagery modeling.  So you'll still be able to get accurate terrain data into SketchUp to place models on.  How to preview a 3D imagery area in Google Earth without showing the buildings is still TBD, so there will be more information on this to come.

The API will continue to allow you to show your models with the Google Earth terrain layer just as it does today.

I hope that helps.

Cheers,

     - CraigD

On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 11:55:31 AM UTC-6, Jorge del Cid wrote:

Hi Craig, sorry if I am posting this question perhaps in the wrong group (I hope not):

I have a small visualization business where very often I model future projects for my clients in sketchup and upload them to Google Earth API so the client can see them......fortunately for me the the area where I provide services (Virginia) Google Earth never had 3d buildings (like the metro areas does), and now I know they will not have it anyways since Google is shifting to the new automated technology (not the traditional GE or sketchup model)........ question is:

When all this new technology get deployed and running in place.....assuming the area where I build models for my clients gets all in the new auto generated 3d system........ How will I be able to import my sketchup models on an area that already have the new 3d buildings already in place?? I am guessing I will not be able to "hide" some of those buildings generated by the new automated system..... and if I am not going to be able to get the "area of my town" where I do my job without any buildings (just terrain like right now), how I will be able to show my client his/her new building on an area that is already populated with the new ones??? Assuming I am using GE API.

I will appreciate if you can address my concern, part of my business is based on that and I will be affected tremendously ( and I guess a lot of businesses as well) if there is no way to place new developments on the google earth API effectively.

Very Best wishes.

Jorge del Cid

On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:59:34 PM UTC-4, CraigD - Google wrote:
Well as "integrated photogrammetry" is a descriptive term for the data capturing techniques, it doesn't roll off the tongue and we don't use that to describe the "Web-mesh" as StrayKat calls it. :)  We've been calling the end result "3D imagery" in Google Earth.  The new imagery is really high resolution and looks great!  Incidentally, I now start doing jumping jacks and waving at planes when I hear them fly over.. ;)

Cheers,

     - CraigD

On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 10:47:37 AM UTC-6, matthiasbasler wrote:
On 12 Jun., 22:11, StrayKatStudio <straykatstu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>   The Web-mesh is ... uh, yeah, I think I made that up.  Didn't know how
> else to describe the new 3D surface.  It does look very web-like.  Lots of
> triangles.

The end result, as I could see in the demo video, is a TIN, a
"triangular irregular network".

I agree, I wouldn't know how to call the whole technique officially.
But "integrated photogrammetry" as Craig called it, sounds good for
me. "Integrated" because it combines several sources (including LIDAR)
and photogrammetry because, just as you describe, it is "multiple
photos being combined to determine 3D stuff". Indeed the idea of
photogrammetry is old, but its still the same idea. The difference it
is that now computers do it instead of people who,a decade ago,
manually grabbed single points of elevation from a pair of images.

Matthias Basler