Google Groups

Re: The Next Dimension of Google Maps - Official Post

Jorge del Cid Jun 13, 2012 5:39 PM
Posted in group: 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps
Craig, thx again for the responses.
 Best.
Jorge

On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:22:10 PM UTC-4, CraigD - Google wrote:
"....because in theory nothing should change for businesses like mine if we call the actual API release we have right now in our websites right? Same exact same thing we have had all along...... globe with terrain, some manual or sketchup or builder 3d buildings and the avility to still import your kmz files to the API."

Yes, that's the plan.

"Now.....the only question in the air right now is.....are we going to be able to keep using the regular google earth stand alone current release to complete the sketchup models with kml tours, overlays etc etc for my new projects?"

In theory, older versions of Google Earth should do that. If this plan changes then I'll make sure everyone knows.

Cheers,

     - CraigD

On Wednesday, June 13, 2012 3:05:36 PM UTC-6, Jorge del Cid wrote:
Craig, thanks much for the response, it did help a lot, I guess we are all in the same boat, getting info by the minute...

Although your reply is very clear in the API case (being able to load the actual terrain we have right now without the new 3d dimension or mesh) and it gives me relief in that regard.......because in theory nothing should change for businesses like mine if we call the actual API release we have right now in our websites right? Same exact same thing we have had all along...... globe with terrain, some manual or sketchup or builder 3d buildings and the avility to still import your kmz files to the API.

Now.....the only question in the air right now is.....are we going to be able to keep using the regular google earth stand alone current release to complete the sketchup models with kml tours, overlays etc etc for my new projects? As you know something is to create the 3d model and place it. in tshe api......and something different is to add more elements to it (tours, overlays, baloons, icons etc etc...
I guess the question will be.....any idea if we will be able to still use google earth current release to still work like we do today??
As today I told my developer to start preparing new website for the incoming api version (new dimension ge) and we are exited to jump into this new stage of technology, but as I mentiones before, part of my business runs on geo modeling in ge api and I need to keep bringing solutions to my client as they know it.....eventually I will migrate one way or the other to the new ge.......(realistically a year or 2)
Again Craig, thx much!
Jorge del Cid