Google Groups

Re: The Next Dimension of Google Maps - Official Post

Zoungy Kligge Jun 7, 2012 6:05 PM
Posted in group: 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps
Some thoughts on handmade vs auto in a blog post-- it's a model I've been working on, but should I keep going? I dunno....

On Thursday, June 7, 2012 6:05:45 PM UTC-4, Zeljko Zdravkovic wrote:

Computer made models will never have the same quality like handmade models, and thats the fact. This was expected, spec. after Sketchup transfer to Trimble.
This is just how market works today in the business world. I understand everyone, I share the same opinion like you guys.

Greetings from 3D Belgrade, Serbia !
I hope that we will have one more conference this year ;)

Love you all !

On Thursday, June 7, 2012 11:50:25 PM UTC+2, CraigD - Google wrote:
Hello Francis, as you may know, SketchUp has been sold to Trimble and is no longer in the control of Google, so I can't answer these questions.  That being said, Trimble has shown genuine enthusiasm for the future of SketchUp.

    - CraigD

On Wednesday, June 6, 2012 11:24:04 PM UTC-6, Francis LaLonde wrote:
Well, I've only been involved with the 3D community a little over a year.  I'm a little sad that modeling on the 'personal' level is being phased out (though slowly, and with a town population of about 32,000, it'll probably be a couple of years before we - Bay City, MI - get coverage).  Still, I've enjoyed learning how to use SketchUp, which I'm hoping can eventually assist me in learning other modeling programs, such as Blender - with a view towards creating animation/videos.

I do have a few questions:
1 - is SketchUp version 8 going to be the last version?
2 - will SketchUp continue to be freely available (well, I currently don't have need for the 'pro' version - LOL ) ?

Otherwise, I'm just glad to have been able to tag along for the ride.