Google Groups

Re: The Next Dimension of Google Maps - Official Post

Ricardo Nunes Aug 30, 2012 4:29 PM
Posted in group: 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps
Regarding the GE API, it currently already allows for user models to be hosted, loaded and displayed independently from the Warehouse. But the performance is much lower, so in practice we are limited to one or two models at a time. This will not be a solution for things like 3D Hawaii because the amount of models to load is huge (although I can think of one or two workarounds that might actually work)
But the API camera doesn't know about user loaded models, so no collision detection and all movement is relative to the ground level....

Of course, you could try to program all that from zero (optimized model loader, first person camera, walkable interiors, collisions).
But a much better solution might be to use something like Unity3D that can manage all that straight out of the box....

This is not a rant, criticism or failure to accept change. I'm just pointing out the loss (in my view) of fundamental features to the overall relevance of Google Earth and it's API.