Google Groups

Re: The Next Dimension of Google Maps - Official Post

matthiasbasler Jun 13, 2012 9:47 AM
Posted in group: 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps
On 12 Jun., 22:11, StrayKatStudio <straykatstu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>   The Web-mesh is ... uh, yeah, I think I made that up.  Didn't know how
> else to describe the new 3D surface.  It does look very web-like.  Lots of
> triangles.

The end result, as I could see in the demo video, is a TIN, a
"triangular irregular network".

I agree, I wouldn't know how to call the whole technique officially.
But "integrated photogrammetry" as Craig called it, sounds good for
me. "Integrated" because it combines several sources (including LIDAR)
and photogrammetry because, just as you describe, it is "multiple
photos being combined to determine 3D stuff". Indeed the idea of
photogrammetry is old, but its still the same idea. The difference it
is that now computers do it instead of people who,a decade ago,
manually grabbed single points of elevation from a pair of images.

Matthias Basler