Google Groups

Re: The Next Dimension of Google Maps - Official Post

Francis Lalonde Jun 6, 2012 10:24 PM
Posted in group: 3D Modeling for Google Earth & Maps
Well, I've only been involved with the 3D community a little over a year.  I'm a little sad that modeling on the 'personal' level is being phased out (though slowly, and with a town population of about 32,000, it'll probably be a couple of years before we - Bay City, MI - get coverage).  Still, I've enjoyed learning how to use SketchUp, which I'm hoping can eventually assist me in learning other modeling programs, such as Blender - with a view towards creating animation/videos.

I do have a few questions:
1 - is SketchUp version 8 going to be the last version?
2 - will SketchUp continue to be freely available (well, I currently don't have need for the 'pro' version - LOL ) ?

Otherwise, I'm just glad to have been able to tag along for the ride.