Google Groups

Re: FOV when first viewing

Calvin McDonald Aug 11, 2012 2:58 PM
Posted in group: 360Cities Community

Categories: 360Cities questions and support: :

Nick - does the problem go away if you flush your browser cache?

It appears from my point of view that either Firefox or 360cities recently change something slightly that causes the browser to cache a view of a pano that has a different FOV than the default that was set when the image was published.  This causes the wrong FOV to be loaded for following viewings of the image - at least until the cache is flushed or expires.

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 10:02:45 PM UTC-6, Nick Spiker wrote:

On Wednesday, August 8, 2012 2:41:12 AM UTC+9:30, elena.martinez wrote:

I've checked your panoramas and open in the right FOV (the one you've chosen).
I've opened them with Safari and with Google Chrome.

Please, check this issue and let me know if you can open your panoramas at the right FOV.

On Monday, August 6, 2012 4:24:45 PM UTC+2, Calvin McDonald wrote:

Please, could you tell me which browser are you using?

Hi Elena:

I'm experiencing the anomaly using Firefox 14.0.1  (FF).

I'm still not certain that Nick, Mohammad Reza and I are experiencing the same problem.  If not, I apologize to Nick for highjacking his thread.

Experimenting further with FF it appears that when it's caching 360cities URLs that it ignores parameters after the "#" character.  Once it registers a URL with some ending, like #70.00,0.00,110.0 (for example) it uses this URL whenever any viewing parameters different than that are entered - including default ones coming from 360cities.

That's my face-value observation... what's really going on I'm not sure.  Whatever is going on is something new I believe because I've never seen this behavior before.  Don't know if it's due to a recent change in FF or 360cities.

I think what is happening is that while setting the initial view of a new pano that FF is caching a FOV other than the default.  Then when the user views the newly published pano the first time they get a FOV different than the set default, because an alternate FOV URL was cached earlier.  This makes it look like 360cities isn't capturing the desired FOV correctly.

I did find that clearing the FF cache clears up the problem.

What I was unable to determine (so far) is how FF decides which URL it will cache.  I'm guessing this might have something to do with why this is showing up as an anomaly now.

I played around with Internet Explorer (9.0.7) a little and it doesn't appear to act the same as FF in this regard.

I'm using Chrome, FF and Safari, all have the problem on and off. It makes no difference setting th FOV via text or using a mouse.