Categories: Support : Expert : BeagleBone Black : Software : Angstrom :

Error updating to the Angstrom Distribution 2013-06-20

Showing 1-18 of 18 messages
Error updating to the Angstrom Distribution 2013-06-20 Mark A. Yoder 8/21/13 9:16 AM
I'm in the process of updating the eMMc image on several Blacks to run the 2013_06_20 image using the eMMc flasher from [1].  17 of the boards flashed just fine and working.  However 5 won't update.  The 4th LED never turns on and I get the following boot messages[2].  It looks like the ext2 partition isn't there, but when I mount the SD card on my host computer it is there.

Does anyone know what's going on?

--Mark

[2] 
U-Boot 2013.04-dirty (May 06 2013 - 16:12:47)



I2C:   ready

DRAM:  512 MiB

WARNING: Caches not enabled

NAND:  No NAND device found!!!

0 MiB

MMC:   OMAP SD/MMC: 0, OMAP SD/MMC: 1

*** Warning - readenv() failed, using default environment



musb-hdrc: ConfigData=0xde (UTMI-8, dyn FIFOs, HB-ISO Rx, HB-ISO Tx, SoftConn)

musb-hdrc: MHDRC RTL version 2.0 

musb-hdrc: setup fifo_mode 4

musb-hdrc: 28/31 max ep, 16384/16384 memory

USB Peripheral mode controller at 47401000 using PIO, IRQ 0

musb-hdrc: ConfigData=0xde (UTMI-8, dyn FIFOs, HB-ISO Rx, HB-ISO Tx, SoftConn)

musb-hdrc: MHDRC RTL version 2.0 

musb-hdrc: setup fifo_mode 4

musb-hdrc: 28/31 max ep, 16384/16384 memory

USB Host mode controller at 47401800 using PIO, IRQ 0

Net:   <ethaddr> not set. Validating first E-fuse MAC

cpsw, usb_ether

Hit any key to stop autoboot:  1  0 

gpio: pin 53 (gpio 53) value is 1

mmc0 is current device

micro SD card found

mmc0 is current device

gpio: pin 54 (gpio 54) value is 1

SD/MMC found on device 0

Failed to mount ext2 filesystem...

** Unrecognized filesystem type **

gpio: pin 55 (gpio 55) value is 1

** No partition table - mmc 0 **

U-Boot# 
Re: [beagleboard] Error updating to the Angstrom Distribution 2013-06-20 Gerald 8/21/13 9:26 AM
How are you powering the boards during the flashing process? 

Gerald



--
For more options, visit http://beagleboard.org/discuss
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BeagleBoard" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to beagleboard...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Re: Error updating to the Angstrom Distribution 2013-06-20 Mark A. Yoder 8/21/13 9:29 AM
I've using an external 5V supply.  The smallest is rated 1.6A, the other two are 2.5 and 2.6A (I was flashing three at a time)

--Mark
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Error updating to the Angstrom Distribution 2013-06-20 Gerald 8/21/13 9:32 AM
Try using the same supply on all of the ones that have flashing issues, preferably one that has worked before. Make sure the SD card is also removed before you power cycle.. If you forget it messes everything up.

I saw the same printout from another user I think yesterday.

Gerald


--
For more options, visit http://beagleboard.org/discuss
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BeagleBoard" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to beagleboard...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Re: Error updating to the Angstrom Distribution 2013-06-20 Mark A. Yoder 8/21/13 9:40 AM
All three supplies have been successful on flashing other boards.  I just tired all three supplies on the same board and all fail at the same point as before.

I think all 5 boards will boot from the image that's presently on the eMMc.  It's just an older version that needs updating.

Any other ideas?

--Mark

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:16:42 PM UTC-4, Mark A. Yoder wrote:
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Error updating to the Angstrom Distribution 2013-06-20 Gerald 8/21/13 9:43 AM
No.

Gerald


--
For more options, visit http://beagleboard.org/discuss
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BeagleBoard" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to beagleboard...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Error updating to the Angstrom Distribution 2013-06-20 Gerald 8/21/13 9:46 AM
Re: Error updating to the Angstrom Distribution 2013-06-20 Mark A. Yoder 8/21/13 9:58 AM
Since these are for a workshop I want them all the same.  I've tested the 2013_06_20 image and know it works.

However, I'm flashing the 2013_08_20 image as I type and will see what happens.

--Mark

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:16:42 PM UTC-4, Mark A. Yoder wrote:
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Error updating to the Angstrom Distribution 2013-06-20 Marcos Scriven 8/21/13 10:04 AM
Just wondered, what's the relationship between these 'Koen' builds and the 'official' prod BBB one?

The 'dominion.thruhere.net' TLD looks a bit odd, and the homepage just a says 'please hold'

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Error updating to the Angstrom Distribution 2013-06-20 Gerald 8/21/13 10:07 AM
They are the same thing. These are test images. Once they are tested, then the become "official". We move them to another location for mass downloads.
This site is not setup for a bunch of downloads.

Gerald


On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Marcos Scriven <mar...@scriven.org> wrote:
Just wondered, what's the relationship between these 'Koen' builds and the 'official' prod BBB one?

The 'dominion.thruhere.net' TLD looks a bit odd, and the homepage just a says 'please hold'

--
For more options, visit http://beagleboard.org/discuss
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BeagleBoard" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to beagleboard...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Re: [beagleboard] Re: Error updating to the Angstrom Distribution 2013-06-20 Jason Kridner 8/21/13 10:17 AM
Koen is the maintainer of the Angstrom Distribution and provides builds we use as official. He delivers images here for testing before being published for official use. Use these with some caution and report any issues found with some additional kindness as there is no assertion of quality/status/regressions.
Re: Error updating to the Angstrom Distribution 2013-06-20 Mark A. Yoder 8/21/13 10:27 AM
No, I won't be pointing my class to this site.  I test all my exercises on an image before assigning them.  I don't have time to do that for a class that starts in 2 weeks.

I just tried flashing the new image and it fails in the same place.  So what is different about these 5 boards (all rev A5A, as are the 12 boards that worked)?

Are there any other suggestions for things to try?

--Mark

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:16:42 PM UTC-4, Mark A. Yoder wrote:
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Error updating to the Angstrom Distribution 2013-06-20 Gerald 8/21/13 10:34 AM
I have no idea. My vision is not that good, Just request an RMA for each board and have them look at them. As you say, they do not work.

Gerald



--
For more options, visit http://beagleboard.org/discuss
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BeagleBoard" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to beagleboard...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

Re: Error updating to the Angstrom Distribution 2013-06-20 Mark A. Yoder 8/21/13 11:17 AM
Solved!  When removing the board from the Proto Plate the thought crossed my mind that maybe there was something in the way we mounted it. I plugged the unmounted board into power and it started flashing the eMMc!

The board is mounted with 4 metal hex standoffs.  The 5 bad boards had one standoff that was rotated so it was touching the SD reader.  Loosening the screws and aligning the standoffs solved the problem.

Thanks for all your help.

--Mark

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:16:42 PM UTC-4, Mark A. Yoder wrote:
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Error updating to the Angstrom Distribution 2013-06-20 Gerald 8/21/13 11:24 AM

--
For more options, visit http://beagleboard.org/discuss
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BeagleBoard" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to beagleboard...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Well, that is one for the books. Maybe I need to add that into the FAQs! Watch out for standoffs!

Gerald

Re: Error updating to the Angstrom Distribution 2013-06-20 Mark A. Yoder 8/21/13 11:27 AM
But why could it read one partition and not the other?  The joys of real hardware!

--Mark

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 12:16:42 PM UTC-4, Mark A. Yoder wrote:
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Error updating to the Angstrom Distribution 2013-06-20 Gerald 8/21/13 11:37 AM

--
For more options, visit http://beagleboard.org/discuss
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "BeagleBoard" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to beagleboard...@googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

I am sure there is a logically explanation. But right now, it is not obvious to me.

Gerald
Re: [beagleboard] Re: Error updating to the Angstrom Distribution 2013-06-20 cwrse...@gmail.com 8/23/13 4:11 AM


On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 7:24:08 PM UTC+1, Gerald wrote:

Well, that is one for the books. Maybe I need to add that into the FAQs! Watch out for standoffs!

Gerald


That's why  I  always use nylon standoffs/nuts/bolts.

Will