Compiled Barcode Scanner performance is much worse than the version released in Google Play

Lawrence Zhou

Jun 1, 2015, 10:36:15 PM6/1/15
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I am new to zxing. I just downloaded and compiled Barcode Scanner mobile client and installed on my N5 phone. I found that it is much worse than the version I installed from Google Play. The version from Play recoganize QR code very fast, while the one I compiled has a hard time to recoganize the same QR code (well, it works some time, but you have to move your phone around the QR code image to find a chance to read it).

I would like to know the reason. Is it because I run it in debug mode? Why is it so much worse than the release version with the same device and same QR code?

Please advise, thanks.

Lawrence

Sean Owen

Jun 2, 2015, 7:23:27 AM6/2/15
to zx...@googlegroups.com, lzho...@gmail.com
Hm, it could be because the released version is compiled with proguard optimization? I wouldn't think it makes that much difference, but it may. Faster scanning means reading more frames per second.

Lawrence Zhou

Jun 2, 2015, 12:21:27 PM6/2/15
On Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 4:23:27 AM UTC-7, Sean Owen wrote:
> Hm, it could be because the released version is compiled with proguard optimization? I wouldn't think it makes that much difference, but it may. Faster scanning means reading more frames per second.

Hi Sean,

Thanks for your reply,

I think it's caused by the debugger or the IDE I am using (Android Studio) not your code. I saw a lots of "GC_FOR_ALLOC..." message. Maybe the debugger triggered too much memory operation. The Barcode Scanner works very well when I stopped the debugging mode or disconnect the device from my development pc.

Thank you and all contributors' great work, I have done the intent integration. I will dig deeper to see if I can integrate your code with my app more smoothly.

Lawrence