Barcode detection finally built in to Android

Sean Owen

Aug 22, 2015, 3:25:32 PM8/22/15
to zxing
At long last I just noticed this is available via Google Play Services -- something you can call from your app --

Probably a much better option than anything else for embedding barcode detection! I haven't tried it myself.

gjs

Aug 22, 2015, 11:27:05 PM8/22/15
to zxing
Hi there,

Is it based on zxing ? Well done anyway !

Hopefully they will include a barcode generator as well sometime soon.

Regards

Sean Owen

Aug 25, 2015, 4:21:12 AM8/25/15
to zxing
I don't know, but I don't think so. I guess the downside is that it's only available in fairly new versions of Android, but looks like a good option where available.

mofo syne

Aug 27, 2015, 12:52:58 PM8/27/15
to zxing
On Tuesday, 25 August 2015 18:21:12 UTC+10, Sean Owen wrote:
> I don't know, but I don't think so. I guess the downside is that it's only available in fairly new versions of Android, but looks like a good option where available.

Hopefully this would encourage phone manufacturers to bake in support for reading barcodes in their "camera apps". Means one less buttons to press.

Arne Jans

Sep 28, 2015, 12:00:44 PM9/28/15
to zxing

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 10:21 AM, Sean Owen <sro...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't know, but I don't think so. I guess the downside is that it's only available in fairly new versions of Android, but looks like a good option where available.

This page lists the requirements to have at least an Android device with Android 2.3 Gingerbread and up, and having Google Play Store Services on board:

According to the "New Project" wizard of Android Studio, this would at least target 99,7% of all devices active on the Play Store.

Am I missing something?

Best,

Arne Jans

Arne Jans

Sep 28, 2015, 12:05:40 PM9/28/15
to zxing
This issue in the GitHub-project results in a future fix in Google Play Services for android-vision, targeting Android minSdkVersion 9:

Sean Owen

Sep 29, 2015, 2:07:24 PM9/29/15
to zxing
Could be, I don't know. I haven't looked into it. I assumed it would be for newer Android only, like 4+, but maybe not.

mofo syne

Oct 12, 2015, 7:56:27 AM10/12/15
to zxing
On Wednesday, 30 September 2015 04:07:24 UTC+10, Sean Owen wrote:
> Could be, I don't know. I haven't looked into it. I assumed it would be for newer Android only, like 4+, but maybe not.

This seems to imply that this feature is implemented within "Google Play Services"

https://search-codelabs.appspot.com/codelabs/bar-codes#4