Re: [zxing] Industrial 2 of 5

Lachezar Dobrev

Sep 7, 2016, 7:25:13 AM9/7/16
to Spencer, zxing
  ITF is supported.
  However due to excessive false-positives the default configuration only reads ITF bar-codes with specific lengths: 6, 8, 10, 12 and then 14 and longer. If you need to read ITF shorter than 14 digits and not one of the specified lengths a hint (DecodeHintType.ALLOWED_LENGTHS) is available (to developers, not to end users) to specify so.

Would it be difficult or time consuming to add support for Industrial 2 of 5 barcodes? Would be nice to have support for a project I'm working on.

If it's not a quick fix or in the roadmap, any guidance on how I could start adding it myself would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Spencer

Nov 4, 2016, 3:18:29 AM11/4/16
to zxing, spe...@spencerconnaughton.com
Thanks! I'm trying to scan a six digit barcode; having no luck. I've attached an image of it. I've been told it's an industrial 2 of 5, but my have been mislead. :P

Any thoughts?
Screen Shot 2016-11-04 at 12.15.37 AM.png

Lachezar Dobrev

Nov 7, 2016, 8:38:21 AM11/7/16
to Spencer, zxing
  Hm. This does not look like an ITF[1] bar-code.
  The main issue I see is that this code has equal size spaces. Two-Of-Five[1] has wide and narrow spaces (although the 9 symbol has only wide spaces).
  This looks to me closer to a Pharmacode[2], but with way more lines (Wikipedia says maximum of 16 lines). If that was the case, than this code should read the number 122726953300, but I'm not to be taken seriously on this.
  I was unable to find another symbology that has fixed-width wide-spaces only.

  Can you check the source of the bar-code?

Spencer

Nov 8, 2016, 2:55:52 AM11/8/16
to zxing, spe...@spencerconnaughton.com
Ah, here's the problem I think: this is an Industrial 2 of 5, not an Interleaved 2 of 5, and they are slightly different. Try it with this barcode reader: https://online-barcode-reader.inliteresearch.com

It's also known as "Standard" 2 of 5: http://www.barcodeisland.com/2of5.phtml

According to that site "Interleaved 2 of 5 is essentially identical to Standard 2 of 5 except for the fact that Interleaved 2 of 5 encodes information in both the bars and spaces while Standard 2 of 5 only encodes information in the bars." (http://www.barcodeisland.com/int2of5.phtml)

Does that make sense?

Lachezar Dobrev

Nov 8, 2016, 7:05:16 AM11/8/16
to Spencer, zxing
  Hmm. That does make some sense.
  Although the wide lines in the start and the end pattern look the same width as the data wide lines this looks like a distinct possibility.
  A quick look at this points me to the bar-code '200419'. Does that make sense to you?

  I was unable to find a normative document that declares the rules for the bar-code. Not even a quiet zone specification.

  The Industrial variant has different start and stop characters than the Interleaved one, and the spaces are all narrow, but it was not very hard to make it work.

  Sean, if I was to provide a patch, should it add support for Industrial to the Interleaved reader, or should it add a new bar-code type? Provided that such a patch passes the tests will you accept one without a normative document backing it? That is if I'm to undergo such a task, which way should I go?

Spencer

Nov 10, 2016, 3:47:52 PM11/10/16
to zxing, spe...@spencerconnaughton.com
That's the code all right!

Christian Genco

Jan 5, 2017, 1:56:15 AM1/5/17
to zxing, spe...@spencerconnaughton.com
Just stumbled on this thread for a project I'm working on that needs Industrial 2 of 5 barcode scanning.

Lachezar Dobrev: it sounds like you have a handle on how this could be implemented - what would it take, and how can I help?

Spencer

Mar 25, 2017, 9:33:05 PM3/25/17
to zxing, spe...@spencerconnaughton.com
If anyone is interested before Lachezar's patch is integrated, here is a fork with Standard 2 of 5 support added: https://github.com/SpencerC/zxing

Lachezar Dobrev

Mar 27, 2017, 4:49:42 AM3/27/17
to Spencer, zxing
Technically the change I was referring to has been available for
some time now as a "standard-two-of-five" branch in my cloned
repository https://github.com/l-dobrev/zxing.
As for merging that into the main ZXing tree, that is a different
story. I made a pull request awhile ago, but it was not merged, and I
had to revoke it.