Issue 1159 in zxing: Latest barcode scanner on market will not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab

zx...@googlecode.com

Feb 11, 2012, 2:30:34 PM2/11/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Owner: ----

New issue 1159 by wil...@gmail.com: Latest barcode scanner on market will
not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

IMPORTANT: Please don't ask questions by filing bugs. Instead, send an
email to zx...@googlegroups.com.

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Update to new version from android market
2. Attempt to scan upc & qr codes
3. Barcodes are not recognized, and not scanned.

Barcodes to scan, scan window appears but dose not detect barcodes

Version 4.0

Build number: FROYO.UVJJB
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9 may.park@SEP-08 #1
Firmware version: 2.2
Model Number: SGH-T849

From the comments it looks like im not the only one haveing issues with
this update. Rolling back to previous version fixes my issues.

zx...@googlecode.com

Feb 11, 2012, 3:04:50 PM2/11/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #1 on issue 1159 by srowen: Latest barcode scanner on market will
not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

I just posted my latest debug build. You might give it a shot. I think this
is just yet another device bug but if it's anything like the Optimus bug
(ie camera fails on some preview sizes) this might happen to also work
around it.

http://code.google.com/p/zxing/downloads/detail?name=BarcodeScanner-debug.apk

zx...@googlecode.com

Feb 11, 2012, 4:05:07 PM2/11/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #2 on issue 1159 by wil...@gmail.com: Latest barcode scanner on
market will not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

No such luck, not seeing any differences.

zx...@googlecode.com

Feb 11, 2012, 4:22:11 PM2/11/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #3 on issue 1159 by srowen: Latest barcode scanner on market will
not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

Not sure then, it works OK on my tablet. If you can post any other info
like suspicious-looking info from the logs, that might be a start.

zx...@googlecode.com

Feb 13, 2012, 11:29:24 AM2/13/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #4 on issue 1159 by kazuml...@gmail.com: Latest barcode scanner on
market will not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

Not sure where to post this, but wanted to confirm that the
BarcodeScanner-debug.apk that was posted here DOES fix the issue with the
Optimus.

zx...@googlecode.com

Feb 13, 2012, 11:45:32 AM2/13/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #5 on issue 1159 by srowen: Latest barcode scanner on market will
not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

Yup, definitely, it selects the screen size rather than a higher
resolution, which works around the Optimus bug. It's a shame as otherwise
you could use a little more resolution for scanning on the Optimus, which
helps a bit.

zx...@googlecode.com

Feb 18, 2012, 6:02:42 AM2/18/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Updates:

Comment #6 on issue 1159 by srowen: Latest barcode scanner on market will

not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

Marking this as fixed since the 4.1 workaround happens to address this too.

zx...@googlecode.com

Feb 27, 2012, 6:31:45 AM2/27/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #7 on issue 1159 by lokesh.r...@gmail.com: Latest barcode scanner
on market will not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

I tried "Barcode Scanner 4.1 beta 1 for Android" on Galaxy tab 7 inch and
still camera not working. Following is the information about tab I used:

Build number: FROYO.DDJK3
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9 root@SE-S605 #4
Firmware version: 2.2
Model Number: GT-P1000

zx...@googlecode.com

Feb 27, 2012, 6:35:47 AM2/27/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #8 on issue 1159 by lokesh.r...@gmail.com: Latest barcode scanner
on market will not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

I tried "Barcode Scanner 4.1 beta 1 for Android" on Galaxy tab 7 inch and

still facing same issue. Following is the information about tab I used:

zx...@googlecode.com

Feb 27, 2012, 6:39:49 AM2/27/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #9 on issue 1159 by lokesh.r...@gmail.com: Latest barcode scanner

I request you to re-open the issue.

Waiting for ver 4.1 with fingers crossed.

zx...@googlecode.com

Feb 27, 2012, 11:25:29 AM2/27/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #10 on issue 1159 by srowen: Latest barcode scanner on market will
not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

There's no more info here though about the problem... I don't have a Galaxy
Tab but it works on other tablets so suspect it is yet another device bug.

zx...@googlecode.com

Apr 24, 2012, 3:29:28 PM4/24/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #11 on issue 1159 by erichsil...@gmail.com: Latest barcode scanner
on market will not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

I have a Galaxy Tab with the following configuration and the just released
Barcode Scanner 4.1 can't read any code:

Build number: FROYO.VJJM9
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9 root@SEP-52 #1
Firmware version: 2.2
Model Number: GT-P1000L

Note: Barcode Scanner 3.72 works well

zx...@googlecode.com

Apr 24, 2012, 4:21:11 PM4/24/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #12 on issue 1159 by pbald...@google.com: Latest barcode scanner on
market will not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

> I have a Galaxy Tab and the just released Barcode Scanner 4.1 can't read
> any code
Sometimes setting the preview size does not work on this device, even if
the chosen size appears to be valid. The solution I found was to re-read
the preview size from the camera API parameters when the preview image
callback is invoked, and to not assume that the size requested is still
being used.

zx...@googlecode.com

Apr 24, 2012, 4:50:16 PM4/24/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #13 on issue 1159 by erichsil...@gmail.com: Latest barcode scanner
on market will not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

I think there is a bug in 'CameraConfigurationManager' MAX_PREVIEW_PIXELS
constant,
changing the value from '854x480' to '1024x600' worked for my device.

I've attached a patch with that change.

Attachments:
CameraConfigurationManager.java.patch 778 bytes

zx...@googlecode.com

Apr 24, 2012, 4:57:12 PM4/24/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #14 on issue 1159 by srowen: Latest barcode scanner on market will
not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

That's definitely not a bug - it's supposed to limit the preview size so
you're not scanning more pixels than are useful to scan.

zx...@googlecode.com

Apr 24, 2012, 4:59:04 PM4/24/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #15 on issue 1159 by erichsil...@gmail.com: Latest barcode scanner
on market will not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

That's ok. But the given 'limit' does not work for Galaxy Tab

zx...@googlecode.com

Apr 24, 2012, 5:29:06 PM4/24/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #16 on issue 1159 by srowen: Latest barcode scanner on market will
not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

It has no preview mode smaller than that limit? then it will just default
to whatever the default is. In any event it should still roughly work.

zx...@googlecode.com

Apr 24, 2012, 6:00:50 PM4/24/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #17 on issue 1159 by erichsil...@gmail.com: Latest barcode scanner
on market will not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

Is there a list of such resolutions? It would help me to find the optimal
one.

zx...@googlecode.com

Apr 24, 2012, 6:21:38 PM4/24/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #18 on issue 1159 by srowen: Latest barcode scanner on market will
not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

Run the ZXingTest app and it can dump all the camera's parameters and
settings, including supported preview sizes.

zx...@googlecode.com

Apr 24, 2012, 6:50:28 PM4/24/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #19 on issue 1159 by erichsil...@gmail.com: Latest barcode scanner
on market will not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

Nice. I will check it as soon as I could.

zx...@googlecode.com

Apr 25, 2012, 10:51:18 AM4/25/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #20 on issue 1159 by erichsil...@gmail.com: Latest barcode scanner
on market will not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

Srown,
The supported preview sizes for my Galaxy Tab are the following (the full
dump is attached):

preview-size-values=800x600,1024x600,320x240
preview-size=800x600

We've tried with 'MAX_PREVIEW_PIXELS = 800x600' and it does'nt worked.
However, if I change the 'findBestPreviewSizeValue' method to return a
hardcoded 'Point(800,600)' it does work.

Attachments:
dump.txt 1.8 KB

zx...@googlecode.com

Apr 25, 2012, 12:53:24 PM4/25/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #21 on issue 1159 by srowen: Latest barcode scanner on market will
not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

Are you using 4.1?

What size does it select, 800x600? (Look in the logs.) What is the size of
the screen? It will prefer a size that matches the screen's dimensions if
possible.

The preview size is mostly cosmetic. As long as it's a reasonably large
without being too large it will scan fine. I don't think there's an app
problem, but, the device could well have a problem with one of its own
preview modes. (Example, the LG Optimus V actually shows nothing if you
choose a non-default preview size!)

zx...@googlecode.com

Apr 25, 2012, 2:06:15 PM4/25/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #22 on issue 1159 by erichsil...@gmail.com: Latest barcode scanner
on market will not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

yep, I'm using 4.1.

Here's the log:

I/CameraConfiguration(17310): Screen resolution: Point(1024, 600)
I/CameraConfiguration(17310): Supported preview sizes: 800x600 1024x600
320x240
I/CameraConfiguration(17310): Camera resolution: Point(320, 240)
I/CameraConfiguration(17310): Supported values: [off, on, auto, torch]
I/CameraConfiguration(17310): Settable value: off

The screen size is 1024x600 and it selects 320x240 as the preview size,
which is the only resolution that lies in the default range [320x240,
854x480]. The strange thing is that if I try to set 800x600 as the
MAXIMUM_VALUE it doesn't work, but if I force the preview size to be
800x600 it does work.

zx...@googlecode.com

Apr 25, 2012, 2:55:02 PM4/25/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Updates:

Comment #23 on issue 1159 by srowen: Latest barcode scanner on market will
not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

I see, the only preview size small enough is 320x240, and that's quite low
resolution. The minimum is there just to accommodate small-screen devices;
480x320 is much better as a minimum in practice.

The complication too is that 320x240 gets chosen over 800x600 arbitrarily
since they're both the same aspect ratio. But 800x600 is probably the
better choice.

I can make the max 800x600 since that's probably fine as a maximum these
days. I can also adjust the logic to prefer the larger option.

zx...@googlecode.com

Apr 25, 2012, 3:47:16 PM4/25/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com
Updates:

Comment #24 on issue 1159 by srowen: Latest barcode scanner on market will
not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

OK made my chnages in this regard. This particular device will choose
800x600 now for sure

zx...@googlecode.com

Apr 25, 2012, 4:08:13 PM4/25/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #25 on issue 1159 by erichsil...@gmail.com: Latest barcode scanner
on market will not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

Thanks srowen. I've tested the code from trunk on the device and it's
working.

zx...@googlecode.com

Aug 7, 2012, 4:09:20 AM8/7/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #26 on issue 1159 by cheung.c...@gmail.com: Latest barcode scanner
on market will not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

@23 , @24

can you show me how that is done? because I am also experiencing the same
problem on Galaxy S3, thanks

zx...@googlecode.com

Aug 7, 2012, 5:44:40 AM8/7/12
to zx...@googlegroups.com

Comment #27 on issue 1159 by srowen: Latest barcode scanner on market will
not scan upc or qr codes on Samsung Galaxy Tab
http://code.google.com/p/zxing/issues/detail?id=1159

This change is already released. The S3 chooses a high resolution now.