https://zxing.appspot.com/generator is currently down ?

gjs

Sep 22, 2015, 11:45:21 PM9/22/15
to zxing
Hi,

https://zxing.appspot.com/generator is currently down & not responding to requests eg:

https://zxing.org/w/chart?cht=qr&chs=350x350&chld=L&choe=UTF-8&chl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com

This webpage is not available

ERR_TIMED_OUT

What is the general status of this service ? Is it provided as a test only facility ?

Can it be relied upon to be generally available or should we use other forms of QR code generation ?

Please discuss.

Thanks

Lachezar Dobrev

Sep 23, 2015, 4:28:23 AM9/23/15
to gjs, zxing
  The service seems to be running fine for me.
  It might be a temporary glitch, or a maintenance period.

  I do not think the zxing.org and zxing.appspot.com applications are meant to be relied upon in production. I am pretty sure they will not work well if used for bulk or mass generation or scanning. I am not aware of any pro-active defences against that kind of (ob)use, but I'd stick to using it as an example, or a quick way to generate a small amount of bar-codes absent full access. I am pretty sure there is no caching in place, so every time a code image is referred it is generated from scratch, so putting the generation URL in a web page is a bad idea (unless it's unique every time, but see below).

  Both applications are open-source and licensed under the Apache 2.0 License (AFAIK). You could probably host your own instance close to your application.

Sean Owen

Sep 23, 2015, 11:02:18 AM9/23/15
to zxing
Yeah it's actually the web app at zxing.org that has been having problems. I have been seeing weird memory problems after a week of uptime. I think I might have identified at least one source of memory pressure : https://github.com/zxing/zxing/commit/6f0deeeda34fee5480ba1909963076b8d67b1a55

Yes it should be considered a best-effort-only service. Don't rely on it for production (it's trivial to run your own clone of it).