Which Smartphone attributes make for a better barcode scanner

Control Point

Jan 10, 2018, 8:06:50 AM1/10/18
to zxing
I am testing some phones to see which performs better at scanning multiple barcodes; 1d and 2d. Some phones perform better than others but I cannon establish why. E.G. the Sony XA1 perform terribly and will often not scan at all. Newer phones such as the Samsung S7 & S8 perform very well where as the Samsung A3 and S4 mini also perform very well. the Samsung J5 is intermediate as is the Moto G5 but I cannot find a pattern as to why. Can anybody help.?..

gjs

Jan 10, 2018, 11:24:23 PM1/10/18
to zxing
On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 12:06:50 AM UTC+11, Control Point wrote:
> I am testing some phones to see which performs better at scanning multiple barcodes; 1d and 2d. Some phones perform better than others but I cannon establish why. E.G. the Sony XA1 perform terribly and will often not scan at all. Newer phones such as the Samsung S7 & S8 perform very well where as the Samsung A3 and S4 mini also perform very well. the Samsung J5 is intermediate as is the Moto G5 but I cannot find a pattern as to why. Can anybody help.?..

In this case Zxing scans from phone camera preview images. Camera preview images are generally (re)sized to the (pixel) size of the device display screen. Higher resolution device display screens have more pixels for Zxing to work with, but scanning performance also depends on the quality of the device camera optics, focus, lighting, subject distance, barcode qualities etc etc.

Suggest you examine phone camera preview images as part of your tests to help you find a pattern.