Question on the development process.

Tiago Silva

Oct 10, 2016, 11:11:19 AM10/10/16
to zxing
Hello

We are a group of students from the Faculty of Engineering of the University of Oporto in Portugal, from the course of informatics and computing engineering, and for a class we are analyzing your project. We would like to know from you if possible if you chose to use a software development process model during the development stage of the project, which, and why you used it.

Thank you for your consideration
Tiago Silva
Nuno Freitas
Rui Paiva
José Costa

Sean Owen

Oct 11, 2016, 2:53:41 AM10/11/16
to zxing
The project has been around for about 9 years, and there is basically no development now. In the early days it was mostly a 2-person benevolent dictatorship, between Daniel and myself, playing gatekeeper to the project and doing collectively the majority of the development. The model is still that of a simple, small project: I am effectively the only maintainer, I push straight to master, no release branches. There is automated testing, CI, builds, etc. The reason it's not more elaborate is just that it never seemed like something more complex was needed. I suppose that, in 2007, workflow tools like Github, git or even Maven weren't around or nearly as advanced, so it was somewhat harder to collaborate.

Tiago Silva

Oct 12, 2016, 5:41:52 AM10/12/16
to zxing
Thank you very much for taking the time to answer us.