adding DotCode ?

Mario Frasca

Oct 16, 2017, 10:17:50 AM10/16/17
to zxing
I'm the current maintainer of Ghini (desktop + pocket), we produce plant labels and we're now using PostScript, printing to a printer. We're using QR codes on the labels and it's fine and we're very happy with ZXing (from ODK Collect and ghini.pocket).

Sooner or later we might add a laser engraver, and I am a bit worried about the etching of areas, as needed by QR, so I'm also looking for alternatives, less sensitive to etching precision.

Such an alternative coding seems to be DotCode, just burn dots in position, without having to worry about dot sizes.

but then we would need ZXing understand DotCode.

anyone out there, also interested? I would not know where to start, to tell the truth, but I'm a quick learner, I have 20+ years of programming experience, very little with android and never done anything related to image processing.

any comments welcome.