Native Oracle driver for Erlang as opposed to ODBC

Bikram Chatterjee

Aug 9, 2012, 3:54:20 AM8/9/12
to zurich-erlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We mentioned a native Oracle driver we wrote in Erlang in our presentation yesterday. This is a opensource project and can be accessed at https://github.com/k2informatics/erloci.

This driver uses the same C interface ODBC use at native level so it is aimed to provide better performance and buffering etc. This is tested with Windows (Xp, 7), Fedora, RHEL and Mac.

We are looking for users of this driver that would help bringing in feedback for bug fixes and improvement.

Thanks,
Bikram

Lars Hesel

Aug 29, 2012, 3:48:09 PM8/29/12
to zurich-erlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bikram

I cloned and had a quick look at the driver. Cool stuff. Wanna do an experiment with a port of my own some day.

It could be fun to try out your driver - do you have some public Oracle servers that I would be able to connect to? I'm not sure I'm gonna go through installing a Oracle server on any of my local machines.

Cheers,
Lars

Bikram Chatterjee

Aug 29, 2012, 7:51:00 PM8/29/12
to zurich-erlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lars,

This sounds great.

Unfortunately, I don't have any public Oracle DB you might tryout at my disposal at the moment. But with a some configuring this might work for you

I haven't tried this myself so no idea about what is involved.

Please let me know again if this doesn't work for you. I will try to provide something for you.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Cheers,
Bikram
Sent from my iPhone

danrok

Feb 5, 2013, 12:48:04 PM2/5/13
to zurich-erlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bikram,

can you write sth about erloci compilation on Linux? Can you attach rebar.config or give a hint how to run it?

Bikram Chatterjee

Feb 5, 2013, 1:10:13 PM2/5/13
to zurich-erlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Konrad,

Thanks very much for your interest in this project.

'erloci' is open sourced and hosted at: https://github.com/k2informatics/erloci.

I attempted ;) to add a helpful README file to it to aid compilation and test (any suggestion about can make the README better is most welcome).

The rebar.config (for MAC but also applies for linux). You might notice that I have avoided using Makefile to compile the port at the cost of more demanding dev env setup on windows rebar.config (for windows).

I will be happy to assist you more if you have troubles compiling or running it.

Cheers,
Bikram

danrok

Feb 6, 2013, 7:14:46 AM2/6/13
to zurich-erlan...@googlegroups.com
I cloned your repo and changed rebar.config a little bit:

{port_sources, ["c_src/*.cpp"]}.
{port_envs, [
    {"CXXFLAGS", "$CXXFLAGS -c -I$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/demo -I$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/public  -Ideps/threadpool/src"},
    {"DRV_LDFLAGS", "$ERL_LDFLAGS -L$ORACLE_HOME/lib/ -L$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib/ -locci -lclntsh -lnnz10 -lpthread"},
    {"LINK_TEMPLATE",
         "$CXX $PORT_IN_FILES $LDFLAGS $DRV_LDFLAGS -o $PORT_OUT_FILE"}
]}.
{so_name, "erloci"}.

after running rebar compile I get:

danrokk:~/work/erloci$ ./rebar compile
==> erloci (compile)

No touching c_src files. Am I missing sth?

Bikram Chatterjee

Feb 6, 2013, 9:06:30 AM2/6/13
to zurich-erlan...@googlegroups.com
Hi Danrok,

Pushed an updated rebar.config.mac... this should start you compiling...

I quickly tried compiling and there seems to some compilation error in my CenOs dev env, don't have time now to figure it out, but this probably could be missing/incorrect library and/path to headers and libraries in rebar.config

Alternatively, as for some time now this driver was being used in windows systems only, so I maintained the windows build only (with nmake etc using VS tool chain) which might have caused the Linux/Mac compile settings go out of sync. If that is the reason for the compilation errors then I need to update the rebar.config.mac more accurately to fix this Linux/Mac issue.

If you have a windows development machine with visual studio you can quickly try things out there.
Alternatively, I would suggest you to try this push and see if you can get it compiling with some more changes (maybe specific to your dev env).

Please let me know how did it go.

Cheers,
Bikram