Open Source - Server Code?

Del

Nov 7, 2016, 7:50:09 PM11/7/16
to zotero-dev
I can't find any way under the open source nature of this project to download the server code, or am I missing something and the project is not fully open source

At first glance it appears to be "open source" in the way that Google could be considered open source - eg that there are open source API's to talk to the Google Server.  This, IMO - is not "open source", and to indicate that it is compliant with the tenets, ethics and objectives of open source technologies is to deliberately obfuscate its actual nature - being closed source for core technologies.

Can someone clarify this for me please?

Dan Stillman

Nov 7, 2016, 7:51:56 PM11/7/16
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
https://github.com/zotero/dataserver

Maybe next time just ask your question?

Bruce D'Arcus

Nov 7, 2016, 7:54:06 PM11/7/16
to zotero-dev

Awfully pedantic of you to post a note like this.

Is the code not here?

https://github.com/zotero

Del

Nov 7, 2016, 9:08:03 PM11/7/16
to zotero-dev
I'd like to apologise - though I'll give my reasons for suddenly getting my ire up:
  • The "developer" portion of the website doesn't mention the server - https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/start
  • The Zotero website clearly has a paid model, which made me suspicious that it was paid / closed-source masquerading as open source
  • This then started rapidly looking like one of the "open source" projects that is largely closed-source
  • I'm an historian-developer - I'm interested in seeing the development of access and research tools
  • Closed solutions for research - which about - are annoying as heck.
So - I do apologise for the outburst, however this would have been completely averted if anything other than client-side software had been mentioned clearly on the developer portion of the website itself.  A large portion of developers aren't just client-side.

Emiliano Heyns

Nov 8, 2016, 9:58:26 AM11/8/16
to zotero-dev
On Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 3:08:03 AM UTC+1, Del wrote:
I'd like to apologise - though I'll give my reasons for suddenly getting my ire up:
  • The "developer" portion of the website doesn't mention the server - https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/start
  • The Zotero website clearly has a paid model, which made me suspicious that it was paid / closed-source masquerading as open source
  • This then started rapidly looking like one of the "open source" projects that is largely closed-source
  • I'm an historian-developer - I'm interested in seeing the development of access and research tools
  • Closed solutions for research - which about - are annoying as heck.
So - I do apologise for the outburst, however this would have been completely averted if anything other than client-side software had been mentioned clearly on the developer portion of the website itself.  A large portion of developers aren't just client-side.

"I apologise, however it's your own fault" makes it not even half an apology. The code is all there, and while a large portion of developers may or may not be just client-side, the overwhelming majority of the Zotero developers certainly are.

From what I can tell from activity on the group/forums, there is hardly any interest in running a private server, the server is not (or was not, haven't tried in a long while) particularly easy to set up (although the devs have always been helpful when someone asked), and the client needs to be modified to use it. I'm not surprised they're not advertising it on their developers page, and I don't recall any open source/free software manifesto that says "and thou shalt advertise your open source software"