How to debug CSL output?

Aaron Wenner

Mar 19, 2014, 12:32:17 PM3/19/14
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on changes to the McGill Style Guide, which uses the CSL-M specification. I'm having trouble getting a set of authors to output correctly, and I'd like to be able to look under the hood to see which variables citeprocjs is grabbing. Is there a way to trace variables in a running instance of zotero to do this?

Thanks!
AW

Sebastian Karcher

Mar 19, 2014, 2:26:04 PM3/19/14
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
Not as live debug, but you can export CSL-JSON, which is what Zotero
passes on to citeproc.js
It's probably easiest, though, if you just ask. Note that for CSL-m
styles to work properly you should be using MLZ. Using vanilla Zotero
with CSL-m styles can cause all types of weird behavior.

Frank Bennett

Mar 19, 2014, 7:25:48 PM3/19/14
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
As adamsmith says, the MLZ styles should be run in MLZ. To check the
variables seen by the processor, you can refer to the mapping table,
which live here:

http://fbennett.github.io/z2csl/diffMap.html

You can also view the CSL JSON for an item by selecting it in the MLZ
center pane, right-clicking, and selecting "CSL JSON" as the export
format.

Frank