"videoRecording", what is it for?

ma...@tillheilmann.info

Nov 18, 2016, 5:51:04 AM11/18/16
to zotero-dev
I know that the Zotero type "videoRecording" (CSL: motion_picture) is considered to be a legacy issues by some Zotero developers. Still, I wonder, what its correct use was supposed to be? We have Zotero "film" (CSL: motion_picture) for movies, typically first shown in cinemas, like "Casablanca". Then we have Zotero "tvBroadcast" (CSL: broadcast) for anything shown on TV, whether it's a drama series, a news show or even TV movies and so on, like "The Sopranos", "60 Minutes" or "The Day After". We also have Zotero "artwork" (CSL: graphic), to be used for art/experimental films like Chris Burden's "Through the Night Softly". So, what is "videoRecording" for? Would the Zapruder film fall into this category? Or TIME Life's productions like "The Century of Warfare"?

Sebastian Karcher

Nov 18, 2016, 8:33:47 AM11/18/16
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
The most obvious example for videoRecording is most of YouTube/Vimeo.
More generally, it probably works better for anything (other than a TV
Broadcast) that's cited referring to a specific mode of delivery (online
stream, DVD, VCR).

ma...@tillheilmann.info

Nov 18, 2016, 10:10:43 AM11/18/16
to zotero-dev
Yes, of course, thank you! (And therein lies the inconsistency between the types "film/motion_picture", "videoRecording/motion_picture" and "tvBroadcast/broadcast": They all refer to kinds of "content" [It's a movie! It's a TV show!] AND to modes of "delivery" [It's on YouTube! It's broadcast by CBS! It comes on a DVD!] at the same time without really differentiating them well. The ontology of citable objects is just too damn complicated...)

On 11/18/2016 05:51 AM, ma...@tillheilmann.info wrote:
> I know that the Zotero type "videoRecording" (CSL: motion_picture) is
> considered to be a legacy issues by some Zotero developers. Still, I
> wonder, what its correct use was supposed to be? We have Zotero "film"
> (CSL: motion_picture) for movies, typically first shown in cinemas,
> like "Casablanca". Then we have Zotero "tvBroadcast" (CSL: broadcast)
> for anything shown on TV, whether it's a drama series, a news show or
> even TV movies and so on, like "The Sopranos", "60 Minutes" or "The
> Day After". We also have Zotero "artwork" (CSL: graphic), to be used
> for art/experimental films like Chris Burden's "Through the Night
> Softly". So, what is "videoRecording" for? Would the Zapruder film
> fall into this category? Or TIME Life's productions like "The Century
> of Warfare"?

Bruce D'Arcus

Nov 18, 2016, 10:17:49 AM11/18/16
to zotero-dev