Developer Needed for Zotero Firefox Plugin Development

Richard Kaplan

May 27, 2016, 3:42:21 PM5/27/16
to zotero-dev

I need a developer who can create several Firefox plugins for Zotero.

If interested, send CV and email to rka...@umrpc.com

Thanks

Sebastian Karcher

May 27, 2016, 6:25:39 PM5/27/16
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
It's up to you, of course, but you have a much better chance of
attracting people if you provide a bit more detail about what you're
after. Zotero plugins can range anywhere from the trivially easy to
hugely complex and can deal with very different sets of functionality in
Zotero.
Who may feel qualified and who will be interested will depend on the
nature of the project.

Emiliano Heyns

May 28, 2016, 11:07:51 AM5/28/16
to zotero-dev
What Adam said. I have some experience on the technical side, but some extensions will require domain knowledge, and it'd be good to know if I have that knowledge, and whether it's a domain that interests me. And it'd give me some idea of how much time would be involved.

As for cv, mine can be found at https://github.com/retorquere

Richard Kaplan

May 28, 2016, 11:17:26 AM5/28/16
to zotero-dev

There are several projects I have in mind, with varying degrees of complexity.

First - I would like to create Translators for several websites, including the new Microsoft Academic site and some other sites related to medicine.

Second - I would like to create a plugin for Office 365 so that I can send an email to Zotero.

Third - I would like to develop a plugin which can retrieve MEDLINE metadata from a privately hosted MongoDB database rather than Google Scholar, in order to avoid IP blocking when retrieving data for multiple references.  The purpose is to be able to retrieve a large number of citations on a given topic (perhaps 100-200 at a time) and create a  Zotero entry for each.

Fourth - I would like to modify the PubMed Central translator so it has the option of retrieving not only the chosen PMC citation but also the citations for all of the references listed in that PMC article

Payment can be flat-rate for a project or hourly with an estimated number of hours for the project.

If interested email me at rka...@umrpc.com

Emiliano Heyns

May 28, 2016, 12:19:05 PM5/28/16
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Richard Kaplan <rka...@umrpc.com> wrote:

There are several projects I have in mind, with varying degrees of complexity.

First - I would like to create Translators for several websites, including the new Microsoft Academic site and some other sites related to medicine.

Those are easy, and don't really require plugin development, as they can just be submitted to the Zotero translator registry.

Second - I would like to create a plugin for Office 365 so that I can send an email to Zotero.

That's not really Zotero work I think, but O365 work. Didn't know O365 supported plugins? And how should I understand "send an email to Zoter"?

Third - I would like to develop a plugin which can retrieve MEDLINE metadata from a privately hosted MongoDB database rather than Google Scholar, in order to avoid IP blocking when retrieving data for multiple references.  The purpose is to be able to retrieve a large number of citations on a given topic (perhaps 100-200 at a time) and create a  Zotero entry for each.

So in this case the user would already have an entry with MEDLINE data, or would create a new one, and the plugin would get additional data from MongoDB, correct? Something like a MEDLINE-specific caching proxy? I think this would indeed require a plugin. Not exceedingly hard I'd say.

Fourth - I would like to modify the PubMed Central translator so it has the option of retrieving not only the chosen PMC citation but also the citations for all of the references listed in that PMC article

That could be achieved with a multi-scrape translator. If this is interesting to the Zotero group, it could be included in the registry, if not, you will likely want to wrap it in a plugin installer for ease of installation.

Richard Kaplan

May 29, 2016, 8:09:17 AM5/29/16
to zotero-dev

On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 12:19:05 PM UTC-4, Emiliano Heyns wrote:

>>  That's not really Zotero work I think, but O365 work. Didn't know O365 supported plugins? And how should I understand "send an email to Zoter"?

Yes, O365 has a pretty robust section of "add-ons" or plug-ins which work with both the web apps and the Office apps.  I'd think this project involves knowledge of both O365 and Zotero.  What I'd want to do is to save the email as a Note in a specified category.  Or if the email has attachments, save the email as a new subcategory containing both the email as a Note and then the attached files.

So in this case the user would already have an entry with MEDLINE data, or would create a new one, and the plugin would get additional data from MongoDB, correct? Something like a MEDLINE-specific caching proxy? I think this would indeed require a plugin. Not exceedingly hard I'd say.

Correct

Emiliano Heyns

May 29, 2016, 10:08:06 AM5/29/16
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, May 29, 2016 at 2:09 PM, Richard Kaplan <rka...@umrpc.com> wrote:

Yes, O365 has a pretty robust section of "add-ons" or plug-ins which work with both the web apps and the Office apps.  I'd think this project involves knowledge of both O365 and Zotero.  What I'd want to do is to save the email as a Note in a specified category.  Or if the email has attachments, save the email as a new subcategory containing both the email as a Note and then the attached files.

Interesting -- any documentation on how to develop these O365 add-ons? They'd have to speak to the Zotero server API, so these would not involve Zotero extensions to the desktop client as they're commonly understood.

Richard Kaplan

May 31, 2016, 12:25:26 AM5/31/16
to zotero-dev

Interesting -- any documentation on how to develop these O365 add-ons? They'd have to speak to the Zotero server API, so these would not involve Zotero extensions to the desktop client as they're commonly understood.

Emiliano Heyns

May 31, 2016, 2:03:31 AM5/31/16
to zoter...@googlegroups.com

Interesting. Still, when you say "I want to save an email to zotero" what do you want saved? The email itself as a reference? Some parts of the content? Some attachment?

Richard Kaplan

May 31, 2016, 10:27:04 AM5/31/16
to zotero-dev

I would want to save the email itself as a Note in Zotero.  And if there are attachments to the email, then I would want those saved as attached files associated with the same item.