Small glitches in client build_and_deploy

Frank Bennett

Sep 3, 2017, 9:35:49 PM9/3/17
to zotero-dev
I've adapted the Zotero testing and build chains for use with Juris-M. When using the scripts under MacOS and Windows, I hit a couple of snags, which I'll flag here just in case.

Windows:

With a straight install of Cygwin in a VirtualBox container hosted on Linux and running Windows 10, and using the out-of-the-box Cygwin terminal window, I found that ./scripts/check_requirements exited with an exit code of 1 (i.e. $? -eq 1) even when tests completed without error, causing the build to stop immediately. It might be a thing with default shell parameters, or maybe my version of Cygwin confuses DOS and Unix exit codes. In any case, after confirming that tests passed, I set the script to do exit 0 immediately, and the rest of the build ran perfectly.

Mac:

The MacOS builds under the FTP links that show on failure of mar and mbsdiff are linked to Linux libraries that crash when run in MacOS Sierra. The mar and mbsdiff bundled in the relevant zip files in this page did work, though:

Everything else worked great, with relatively little tweaking once I figured out how the moving parts fit together --- it's all quite awe-inspiring, really.

Frank

Dan Stillman

Sep 4, 2017, 12:17:22 PM9/4/17
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On 9/3/17 9:35 PM, Frank Bennett wrote:
> Windows:
>
> With a straight install of Cygwin in a VirtualBox container hosted on
> Linux and running Windows 10, and using the out-of-the-box Cygwin
> terminal window, I found that ./scripts/check_requirements exited with
> an exit code of 1 (i.e. $? -eq 1) even when tests completed without
> error, causing the build to stop immediately. It might be a thing with
> default shell parameters, or maybe my version of Cygwin confuses DOS
> and Unix exit codes. In any case, after confirming that tests passed,
> I set the script to do exit 0 immediately, and the rest of the build
> ran perfectly.

I'm not seeing this.

> Mac:
>
> The MacOS builds under the FTP links that show on failure of mar and
> mbsdiff are linked to Linux libraries that crash when run in MacOS
> Sierra. The mar and mbsdiff bundled in the relevant zip files in this
> page did work, though:
>
>     https://wiki.mozilla.org/UpdateGeneration

Yeah, it looks like they're serving Linux executables from the macOS
folder now. Link updated — thanks.

Duncan Paterson

Jan 23, 2018, 11:33:13 AM1/23/18
to zotero-dev
I still see some errors related to not being able to execute zip (?!?) and some other library on the initial run when trying to build jurism on macOS 10.13.2:

find: -printf: unknown primary or operator
unzip:  cannot find or open , .zip or .ZIP.

Dan Stillman

Jan 23, 2018, 11:48:07 AM1/23/18
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
We deploy from Linux, so we haven't tested build_and_deploy on other
platforms. It calls Mozilla scripts that likely won't work unmodified on
macOS. But build_and_deploy is specifically for that — deploying — so
unless you're actually trying to build update packages and upload them
to a download server that's not what you want to be running. The actual
build scripts (e.g., build_and_run) should work on any platform.

Dan Stillman

Jan 23, 2018, 11:52:35 AM1/23/18
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
Actually, I'm not sure what I was thinking — we certainly use
build_and_deploy from all three platforms. So I'm not sure why you're
getting errors, unless the Juris-M version is different. But regardless,
unless you're actually trying to deploy there's no need to worry about
that script. If you're having trouble with another script, start a new
thread and say exactly what you're running and what you're getting.

Duncan Paterson

Jan 24, 2018, 7:54:13 AM1/24/18
to zotero-dev
Thanks for the quick response Dan, no i m not trying to deploy, just to build jurism (standalone) I ll start a new thread