Edition in article-newspaper

ma...@tillheilmann.info

Oct 3, 2016, 10:24:18 AM10/3/16
to zotero-dev
I wonder what the field edition is supposed to be for in newspaper articles. The German localization of Zotero 4.0.29.5 calls edition for newspaper articles "Auflage" which, in the context of a newspaper, would mean circulation (not edition as in books etc.). This seems wrong. I guess edition for newspaper articles actually means something like "morning edition", "special edition" and so on. In German, this would be called "Ausgabe" (not "Auflage"). Thoughts? Best, Till.

Sebastian Karcher

Oct 3, 2016, 9:51:58 PM10/3/16
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
That's right -- for Newspaper that should be Ausgabe. The problem is
that for other material, Auflage is correct in German (e.g. for books
2nd edition = 2. Auflage) and I believe the field isn't localized by
item type but just once.

ma...@tillheilmann.info

Oct 4, 2016, 2:50:25 AM10/4/16
to zotero-dev
Are you sure about the localization being tied to the field? Because my German Zotero calls container-title "Buchtitel" for chapter, "Titel der Enzyklopädie" for entry-encyclopedia, "Titel des Forums/Listserv" for post etc.

On 10/03/2016 06:33 AM, ma...@tillheilmann.info wrote:
> I wonder what the field edition is supposed to be for in newspaper
> articles. The German localization of Zotero 4.0.29.5 calls edition for
> newspaper articles "Auflage" which, in the context of a newspaper,
> would mean circulation (not edition as in books etc.). This seems
> wrong. I guess edition for newspaper articles actually means something
> like "morning edition", "special edition" and so on. In German, this
> would be called "Ausgabe" (not "Auflage"). Thoughts? Best, Till.

Sebastian Karcher

Oct 4, 2016, 8:33:29 AM10/4/16
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
No, it's not tied to the field name, but basically to the English label
of the field -- Book Title and Encyclopedia Title are different labels
in English too. But e.g. Zotero quite sensibly doesn't make translators
translate "Title" for all 30 item types and by the same logic, there's
only one translation for "Edition". (I think there might be a couple of
examples of words that clearly mean two different things in English that
allow for different translations, but edition wouldn't be one of them).
On 10/04/2016 02:50 AM, ma...@tillheilmann.info wrote:
> Are you sure about the localization being tied to the field? Because
> my German Zotero calls container-title "Buchtitel" for chapter, "Titel
> der Enzyklopädie" for entry-encyclopedia, "Titel des Forums/Listserv"
> for post etc.
>
> Am Dienstag, 4. Oktober 2016 03:51:58 UTC+2 schrieb adamsmith:
>
> That's right -- for Newspaper that should be Ausgabe. The problem is
> that for other material, Auflage is correct in German (e.g. for books
> 2nd edition = 2. Auflage) and I believe the field isn't localized by
> item type but just once.
> On 10/03/2016 06:33 AM, ma...@tillheilmann.info <javascript:> wrote:
> > I wonder what the field edition is supposed to be for in newspaper
> > articles. The German localization of Zotero 4.0.29.5 calls
> edition for
> > newspaper articles "Auflage" which, in the context of a newspaper,
> > would mean circulation (not edition as in books etc.). This seems
> > wrong. I guess edition for newspaper articles actually means
> something
> > like "morning edition", "special edition" and so on. In German,
> this
> > would be called "Ausgabe" (not "Auflage"). Thoughts? Best, Till.
> > --
> <javascript:>
> > <mailto:zoter...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
> <https://groups.google.com/group/zotero-dev>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

ma...@tillheilmann.info

Oct 4, 2016, 8:53:47 AM10/4/16
to zotero-dev
I see. So there is nothing we can do about it? (Because, as you said yourself, "Auflage" is still wrong for edition in article-newspaper.)
>     > <mailto:zotero-dev+unsub...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
>     <javascript:>
>     > <mailto:zoter...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>>.
>     > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/zotero-dev
>     <https://groups.google.com/group/zotero-dev>.
>     <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

Rintze Zelle

Oct 4, 2016, 4:30:54 PM10/4/16
to zotero-dev
Well, Zotero could start using different translation entries for the two types of "edition".

We ran into similar issues in CSL with the Dutch translation of "volume", where we would like to use different terms in Dutch for different items types. For newspaper articles, we would translate "volume" to "jaargang", and for books, to "band" or "deel". (see also https://github.com/citation-style-language/locales/pull/77).

Rintze