Probably Ignorant Question about Zotero 5's Changes to the Database Schema

Matthew Fisher

Jul 27, 2017, 8:24:53 PM7/27/17
to zotero-dev
Hi, All -

First, apologies if this isn't the correct place for this. I'm not properly a developer, just a tech-savvy-ish user of Zotero trying to resurrect a tool no longer updated by its creator that was broken by the Zotero 5.0 update.

Is there some place where the database fields are documented?

I'm tinkering with a utility called "Zotquery", written for a an app called Alfred. Zotquery, which the creator stopped maintaining a few years (?) ago, is a wonderfully handy way of querying one's local Zotero database without going through the app. It uses python scripts to run against what I think is a copy of the Zotero sqlite database, with nifty autocomplete options and other nice touches.

Since the upgrade to Zotero 5, the tool has stopped working - the first issue I can identify in the python script is the following: "no such column: creatorDataID".

Which, on browsing the database, is true enough. So my question is - what happened to creatorDataID? The query also looks like it will break (if I get that far) at a number of other queries to CreatorData, as that seems to be entirely absent from the Zotero 5 db. Are there new columns/fields that map to these old values?

Thanks in advance.

-mnf

Dan Stillman

Jul 27, 2017, 9:39:06 PM7/27/17
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
On 7/27/17 8:24 PM, Matthew Fisher wrote:
> Since the upgrade to Zotero 5, the tool has stopped working - the
> first issue I can identify in the python script is the following: "no
> such column: creatorDataID".
>
> Which, on browsing the database, is true enough. So my question is -
> what happened to creatorDataID? The query also looks like it will
> break (if I get that far) at a number of other queries to CreatorData,
> as that seems to be entirely absent from the Zotero 5 db. Are there
> new columns/fields that map to these old values?

The creator data was just moved into the creators table: items JOIN
itemCreators USING (itemID) JOIN creators USING (creatorID)

Matthew Fisher

Jul 28, 2017, 9:11:05 PM7/28/17
to zotero-dev
Dan -

Many thanks. That, and digging through a few other changes and making wild-ass-guesses at where various fields had moved was enough to hack together a version that's good enough for now.

Cheers.