Zotero API v.3 - life expectancy

GeniusWebDesign Online

Mar 7, 2017, 3:03:44 AM3/7/17
to zotero-dev
Hello,

We are currently working on a project that implements the Zotero API (v.3) and our client wants to know, if possible, the expected life time of the current API version.
The reason for this question is to best possible prepare for future API client development upgrades, in case a new API version arrives with a new different API structure.

I hope you can help us answering this question.

Sebastian Karcher

Mar 7, 2017, 8:39:03 AM3/7/17
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
You may get an official answer from Dan, but the unofficial answer is
"very long", especially you specify the version in API calls in the
code. API version 1, which dates back to 2010 or so, is still
functional, for example, and v3 is significantly more mature, written to
be able to build the web library and to handle full library and group
syncing.

Dan Stillman

Mar 7, 2017, 6:48:18 PM3/7/17
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
Yes, we have no current plans to deprecate API v3, and I expect we'll be
able to continue supporting v3 even after a future v4 comes out. As
adamsmith says, you'll want to be sure to explicitly request v3 so that
it continues to work when v4 becomes the default.

We do encourage anyone who uses the API to subscribe to this list for
announcements, as we do make rare minor tweaks, usually when there's
something we deem to be a bug and/or when we don't expect a change to
affect existing consumers but want to give a heads-up.