5.0 beta

Dan Stillman

Jun 10, 2016, 5:08:01 PM6/10/16
to zotero-dev
Zotero 5.0 Beta is now available for testing:

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/59829/

Thanks to the folks who provided feedback during the alpha period.

Emiliano Heyns

Jun 11, 2016, 1:49:22 PM6/11/16
to zotero-dev
Do you know of any plugins of moderate complexity that are working for 5.0? I see Zotfile is making progress, but I'd prefer to look at something simpler if it exists.

Will S

Jun 12, 2016, 7:22:09 AM6/12/16
to zotero-dev

Emiliano Heyns

Jun 12, 2016, 7:44:08 AM6/12/16
to zotero-dev
Super thanks! Does this mean that Zutilo master works on both 4.0 and 5.0 BTW?

Ephrim Khong

Jun 13, 2016, 8:04:50 AM6/13/16
to zoter...@googlegroups.com
Dan, what timeline do you have in mind for the final release of 5.0?

Thanks
- Eph

Will S

Jun 13, 2016, 11:40:25 AM6/13/16
to zotero-dev
On Sunday, June 12, 2016 at 7:44:08 AM UTC-4, Emiliano Heyns wrote:
Super thanks! Does this mean that Zutilo master works on both 4.0 and 5.0 BTW?

Yes, both Zutilo and Lyz masters work on both 4.0 and 5.0. I wanted upgrading from 4.0 to 5.0 without them breaking, so that seemed the easiest way. Doing this required making the code fairly ugly, but it is all using if statements with Zotero.version, so it should be easy to go back and pull out 4.0 support later on. Also, it was fairly easy to support both in Zutilo because most of its functionality is menu items or shortcuts that run one Zotero command at the end, so mostly I could just wrap that final asynchronous command in "Zotero.Promise.coroutine(function* () {<code>})()" without too much duplication of code. Lyz uses Zotero.DB to store its data so it had calls that became asynchronous throughout its functions. Since I only maintain Lyz and don't actively develop new features for it, I just added Zotero.version if statements and copied and pasted entire functions inside of Zotero.Promise.coroutine() calls and made changes inside (adding "yield", changing "query" to "queryAsync", and some other minor changes).

Emiliano Heyns

Jun 27, 2016, 10:30:58 AM6/27/16
to zotero-dev
What BBT does has become a little more involved than that... ah well, it's not like I had plans for the summer.