Monitoring zorka via a load balancer

David Rooke

Oct 1, 2014, 9:44:49 AM10/1/14
to zorka...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I have a situation where I am monitoring a cluster of hosts. Any one of the hosts can be master and the master exposes many more mbeans than the slaves. As the role of master can get renegotiated at any time the graphs in zabbix for master data get fragmented....

So, I've decided to try monitoring the cluster master through a load balancer. I've devised a way for the load balancer to determine the availability of the service being monitored - so that the load balanced interface comes up. The idea is that monitoring requests to "cluster" hit the load balancer and resolve to the master node and are directed to the agent port running there.

I've added the load balancer's ip address to zorka.properties like this:

zabbix.server.addr = <zabbix_server_ip>,<load_balancer_ip>

However, when I run:

zabbix_get -s <cluster_name> -p <agent_port> -k 'discoverytest["all"]'

...it fails with "zabbix_get [4910]: Get value error: ZBX_TCP_READ() failed: [104] Connection reset by peer"

Is there anything I'm missing here with connecting to a zabbix agent through a load balancer?

Regards,
Dave

David Rooke

Oct 7, 2014, 4:27:35 AM10/7/14
to zorka...@googlegroups.com
I've got it working now. After running tcpdump I realised that the ip addresses I was given for the lb weren't right for what I was doing.

Rafal Lewczuk

Oct 13, 2014, 5:12:11 AM10/13/14
to zorka...@googlegroups.com

Once again sorry for late answer (I'm procrastinating again...).

As you're describing 'load balancer' I'm now not sure you have active-standby or active-active cluster. What is 'load balancer' in your setting. Is it shared IP address that is held only by one of nodes at any given time ? Or is it something that distributes traffic between two nodes ?