Multi-tenant security model for Zico

Mister Bruum

May 15, 2015, 11:14:01 AM5/15/15
to zorka...@googlegroups.com
We host over 30 applications with unique owners that we'd like to instrument with Zorka. A key consideration is security to keep application A developers from gaining access to application B metrics in Zico. Would we be required to map each application to over 30 unique instances of Zico or is there a more efficient security model? We would like to have developers authenticate via LDAP or Active Directory roles.

Thank you!

Rafal Lewczuk

May 21, 2015, 12:29:43 AM5/21/15
to zorka...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Zico collector already has multi-tenant security. In any configuration different than 'anonymous' you can create user accounts.

There are two kinds of user accounts: admin (sees everything), viewer (sees only selected hosts).

Also, with latest version (released yesterday) it is possible to configure LDAP authentication.

Regards,
rle

Mister Bruum

Jun 1, 2015, 11:55:57 AM6/1/15
to zorka...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure I understand this implementation. According to the instructions when using LDAP local users would still need to be defined. Is there some sort of mapping that would take place in LDAP to the local users?

Thank you!

Rafal Lewczuk

Jun 25, 2015, 6:04:11 PM6/25/15
to zorka...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

(sorry for answering so late)

Collector will check password using LDAP but it will use local database for obtaining user attributes and privileges. Administrator needs to add users to internal collector database. Only those users will be authorized to log into collector.

Regards,
rle

Mister Bruum

Jun 26, 2015, 4:33:14 PM6/26/15
to zorka...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for your response.

I think we're getting close to what would be ideal for us. If you're interested in an enhancement request it would be terrific if we could have the option to make it role or group based so that userA, userB, and userD that are members of the  app1_monitor group in LDAP could authenticate in the VIEWER or ADMIN roles as assigned.

Our groups are fairly static while users come and go.

Also, is it possible to do user/group management via an API?

Thanks again!

Rafal Lewczuk

Jul 20, 2015, 4:02:38 PM7/20/15
to zorka...@googlegroups.com

Sorry for not answering in timely fashion, I was overwhelmed by work last 4 weeks unfortunately.

While it is fairly easy to distinguish between VIEWER and ADMIN, you still need to set rights to view specific zabbix hosts (JVMs) for each viewer. This means that you cannot escape configuring user inside ZICO (aside of configuring user account in LDAP itself), so klicking 'ADMIN' checkbox for admins adds virtually zero overhead. Unless you can come up with some custom attribute for storing JVM names in LDAP (which will actually require more work as in ZICO you just click check boxes), having VIEWER/ADMIN groups in LDAP will bring you no advantages.

If you're still interested in having those information stored in LDAP, let me know, I'll try to think it through somewhat and implement necessary changes.

Regards,
rle