SMARTReporter not showing MacZFS Drives

Marc Mosko

Jul 20, 2014, 12:14:22 PM7/20/14
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
hello,

New mac ifs user here!  I have 3x Seagate ST3000DM001 in a RaidZ1 on a Mac Pro (mid 2012), all in internal drive slots.

SMARTReporter sees my boot drive (flash) and an external USB drive and  "1 disks(s) not SMART capable" which I assume is the zfs drive (not the dvd).

Is there anything special that needs to be done to a zfs pool for SMART monitoring?

I created the pool following the quicks start guide, creating a ZFS partition then adding those partitions to a raidz.

Also, what are the "read / write / cksum" columns from "zpool status"?  The man page does not describe them.

Thank you

big:~ mmosko$ zpool list

NAME                    SIZE    USED   AVAIL    CAP  HEALTH     ALTROOT

lucky                  8.19T    699G   7.50T     8%  ONLINE     -

big:~ mmosko$ zpool get all lucky

NAME  PROPERTY     VALUE       SOURCE

lucky  bootfs       -           default

lucky  autoreplace  off         default

lucky  delegation   off         default

lucky  ashift       0           default

big:~ mmosko$ zpool status lucky

  pool: lucky

 state: ONLINE

 scrub: none requested

config:

NAME         STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM

lucky        ONLINE       0     0     0

  raidz1     ONLINE       0     0     0

    disk1s2  ONLINE       0     0     0

    disk2s2  ONLINE       0     0     0

    disk3s2  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

Graham Perrin

Jul 20, 2014, 2:03:03 PM7/20/14
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know, a choice of file system (or storage system) should not affect whether the operating system can work with S.M.A.R.T.-capable hardware.

Whilst I'm not very familiar with SMARTReporter, I'm surprised that it appears to not find S.M.A.R.T. capability for any of the three internal drives.

That said, you might find the following of interest:

– try the 0.9 release, restart the Mac then see whether Disk Utility and/or SMARTReporter treat the three drives as supporting S.M.A.R.T..

Marc

Jul 20, 2014, 5:42:23 PM7/20/14
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
Ok, thank you.  I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something known about zfs.  Digging deeper, I see the SMARTReporter log says:

Jul 20 14:31:53 big.parc.xerox.com SMARTReporter[552] <Error>: Error: mountedHarddisks volumeParms.vMDeviceID == NULL
Jul 20 14:31:53 big.parc.xerox.com SMARTReporter[552] <Error>: Error: mountedHarddisks volumeParms.vMDeviceID == NULL
Jul 20 14:31:53 big.parc.xerox.com SMARTReporter[552] <Error>: Error: mountedHarddisks volumeParms.vMDeviceID == NULL
Jul 20 14:31:53 big.parc.xerox.com SMARTReporter[552] <Info>: I/O-Error check: O.K. - No problems found on all 2 checked disk(s).

So I suspect there's something going on with it.  Disk Utility shows "SMART Status: Verified" for the 3 drives.  I've sent a support request to Core Code about it and will update this post once I find out.

--

---