MacZFS "Late Easter" release 74.3.0

Bjoern Kahl

Apr 2, 2013, 4:49:36 PM4/2/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com

Dear all,

I am happy to announce the immediate availability of our
MacZFS-74.3.0 "Late Easter" release.

This release, probably the last out of the MacZFS-74 code line,
features full support for the ashift property and a fully working zdb.
It also brings the ztest utility, in case you want to stress-test it.
As a first back-port from our new experimental ZFS-OSX it also supports
wider than 80 columns output for zpool iostat.

This release has been tested on Snow Leopard and is expected to install
and work on Leopard (PPC and Intel), Snow Leopard, Lion and Mountain
Lion.

You can get the installer from the project homepage www.maczfs.org ,
section Downloads, or the source code from the master repository at
Google Code http://code.google.com/p/maczfs/source/checkout or from
GitHub, branch maczfs_74-3-release

The official installer has been build from git commit 967abe5d and has
the checksums:
md5 : a1af9b3d03c911b8df7f43ea073e5e94
sha1 : 8edfb1fe41b0a315421e7ba7af9de20a0eaeef74
sha256: 74b75ea28100602d4a7436c097b8b87fd33df856194c824a4b0177eb1fa51dda

Changes:
- full ashift support
+ for zpool create
+ for zpool add
zpool add defaults to the value used with zpool create
you can mix vdevs of different ashift value
- ztest
- zdb
- updated man-page for zpool
- zpool iostat -v now uses full terminal width, if needed
- GNU make based build system in addition to XCode

As usual, we are happy to hear your feedback.

Best regards

Björn

- --
| Bjoern Kahl +++ Siegburg +++ Germany |
| "googlelogin@-my-domain-" +++ www.bjoern-kahl.de |
| Languages: German, English, Ancient Latin (a bit :-)) |

Fastmail Jason

Apr 2, 2013, 5:00:14 PM4/2/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
Well from me to all involved.... SWEET!

Now I'll be busy testing and applying to all systems, oh brother!!!

--
Jason Belec
Sent from my iPad
> --
>
> ---

X Bytor

Apr 2, 2013, 5:11:41 PM4/2/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Fastmail Jason <jason...@belecmartin.com> wrote:

Now I'll be busy testing and applying to all systems, oh brother!!!

Please keep us posted on your testing. I need to get upgraded to Mountain Lion one of these days.

Lucien Pullen

Apr 3, 2013, 4:35:24 AM4/3/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
Also sprach Bjoern Kahl at 4/2/13 3:49 PM:
> I am happy to announce the immediate availability of our MacZFS-74.3.0
> "Late Easter" release.

Wake up, receive tea and new ZFS release. Quite nice.

> This release, probably the last out of the MacZFS-74 code line,
> features full support for the ashift property and a fully working zdb.
> It also brings the ztest utility, in case you want to stress-test it.
> As a first back-port from our new experimental ZFS-OSX it also
> supports wider than 80 columns output for zpool iostat.
>
> This release has been tested on Snow Leopard and is expected to
> install and work on Leopard (PPC and Intel), Snow Leopard, Lion and
> Mountain Lion.

I knew having an install of Mountain Lion without any ZFS on it yet
would come in handy at some point! Testing time!

xbytor

May 13, 2013, 1:48:20 PM5/13/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
I upgraded my Mac Pro (Early 2008) to 10.8.3 and MacZFS 74.3.0 a couple of weeks ago. No problems with ZFS at all except that the messages from my zfs scripts that normally would appear in the system/console log are not showing up. I need to find out where they are going because my hourly/daily/weekly/monthly scripts are getting fired off appropriately.

I am, however, having problems with 'sleep'. I usually set my Computer sleep set to a 3 hour time out. This usually doesn't work now and I'm not quite sure why. The system log doesn't show any of the usual suspects and I think I have system settings set correctly to keep this from happening. I may have to change the Time Machine backup interval to 4 hours event though it shouldn't be causing this problem. This probably isn't zfs related, but I will continue to research the problem. BTW, manually sleeping is working fine and nothing is waking the machine up.

The second problem I have is/was intermittent. I've had an ongoing problem with my eSATA enclosure (SansDigital TR4MP)  (and/or eSATA card) where it would fail to recognize two of the ZFS drives when it would wake. It would KP after several device soft resets. This would happen once a month or so but since it didn't cause any other problems, I haven't worried about it. After the upgrade, something was causing the box to wake up  every couple of hours and, eventually, it would tickle this problem and cause a KP almost every night. I think this has been resolved. It appears that the 'Wake for Ethernet network access' setting got turned on during the upgrade. Turning it back off seems to have fixed the random waking that I've been seeing.

tl;dr: Upgrade OSX and MacZFS. Only problems are my zfs snapshot/backup scripts aren't logging correctly and I've been having problems with my 'sleep'.

-X

Fastmail Jason

May 13, 2013, 1:56:12 PM5/13/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
I've had no issues with the update. Been a treat.

--
Jason Belec
Sent from my iPad

xbytor

May 13, 2013, 2:16:42 PM5/13/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, May 13, 2013 12:48:20 PM UTC-5, xbytor wrote:
I upgraded my Mac Pro (Early 2008) to 10.8.3 and MacZFS 74.3.0 a couple of weeks ago. No problems with ZFS at all except that the messages from my zfs scripts that normally would appear in the system/console log are not showing up. I need to find out where they are going because my hourly/daily/weekly/monthly scripts are getting fired off appropriately.

I fixed this problem. Apparently, OSX 10.8 no longer uses system.log as the default output for launchd scripts. Adding

        <key>StandardErrorPath</key>
        <string>/var/log/zfs_scripts_err.log</string>
        <key>StandardOutPath</key>
        <string>/var/log/zfs_scripts.log</string>

to my .plist files solved the problem.

Bjoern Kahl

May 13, 2013, 2:32:16 PM5/13/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com

Fastmail Jason

May 13, 2013, 2:45:07 PM5/13/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
Yes, nice catch. Going to look at that on mine right now.

--
Jason Belec
Sent from my iPad

X Bytor

May 13, 2013, 2:45:30 PM5/13/13
to zfs-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 1:32 PM, Bjoern Kahl <googl...@bjoern-kahl.de> wrote:

> I fixed this problem. Apparently, OSX 10.8 no longer uses
> system.log as the default output for launchd scripts. Adding
>
> <key>StandardErrorPath</key>
> <string>/var/log/zfs_scripts_err.log</string>
> <key>StandardOutPath</key>
> <string>/var/log/zfs_scripts.log</string>
>
> to my .plist files solved the problem.

 Thanks for sharing the solution.  We should probably add this
 information (changed 10.8 behavior) to our FAQ or troubleshooting
 section.

You can also set the strings to /var/log/system.log to get the old behavior.

-X